Sierra Chart, Ninja Trader and TradeStation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hurricane_sh, Nov 30, 2018.

1. schweiz

schweiz

The default is "calculate on bar close:TRUE". You can change this if you wish.
    You can define how fast NT should recalculate the charts. I put it on 0.5 seconds (display update interval). I would be interested to see who can still follow and trade on 5-20 quotes per second. LOL. HFT might need faster recalculatioins, but they don't trade with NT or TS.
    I NEVER have any lag in recalculations. Depends also from your processor. Apparently a lot of people on ET want to buy refurnished or outlet computers at below $500.

Which idiot would trade in the middle of this chaos? Prices can jump up and down and stop you out before you even realize that you got in. If you need to trade exactly at that specific moment to make any money, you should stop to trade, or rather stop to gamble as this has nothing to do with trading.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    #21     Dec 1, 2018
  2. Overnight

Overnight

No need to piss in my Cheerios. I was simply trying to find a possible solution to JSOP's lagging issue, as I have experienced it also due to tick data rush.

#22     Dec 1, 2018
  3. schweiz

schweiz

It was not adressed at you personally.

If you have a recent powerful computer, a good datafeed and a good internet connection, you will never have lag. And if you will have lag it will be so small that you cannot even see it with the naked eye. I trade the ES and never see any lag at all in NT7.
    If you expect reports or news you should put stops and never open new positions in that crazy market.

If you would receive the tickdata rush without any lag, you wouldn't be able to even trade on it as prices will change maybe 10 times while you just click your mouse. You will never know the exact price until the order is filled.

JSOP's problem is probably the datafeed. I use Iqfeed with NT7 and never have any problems. Ninjatrader never pushes me to sell anything.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    #23     Dec 1, 2018
    RedDuke likes this.
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Sorry I just do not follow you. You keep saying that ninja is data seller. In reality they are the exact opposite. Ninja is charting and trading platform.

Not sure if you are aware but IB never sends real tick data feed. They aggregate ticks every 250 or 200 milliseconds. This could cause data discrepancies, albeit small like 1 or 2 ticks.

I absolutely have no issues paying few extra dollars for a rock solid data feed. My choice is kinetick.

Part of my preparation for going live with algos was comparing data feeds. I compared kinetick, iq feed and IB data. Kinetick and IQ feed matched identically where IB had small differences.

Like I said, being using Ninja for over 10 year. My algos are written in Ninja 7, and I have 0 technical issues with Kinetick as data feed and IB as broker.

#24     Dec 1, 2018
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

If anyone is serious about algo trading, you absolutely SHOULD NOT do it from home PC, no matter how powerful. You need cloud space like AWS.

#25     Dec 1, 2018
    apdxyk likes this.
  6. JSOP

JSOP

I always have the indicators calculated on bar close only, just an FYI but this really has nothing to do with the problem I stated earlier with regards to the data packet issue by Ninja Trader.

#26     Dec 1, 2018
  7. maxpi

maxpi

Two thumbs up for Sierracharts.

#27     Dec 2, 2018
  8. JSOP

JSOP

You and I are talking about two different issues. IB's data not streaming and is not tick by tick is a known issue and that's not the problem. The problem that I am talking about is price spikes which is not created by IB; it's created by Ninja Trader by their deliberate action. Other software like Sierra Charts and MultiCharts never display any huge price spikes and they retrieve exactly the same price data from IB. It's Ninja Trader's software's problem that deliberately produced these price spikes so they can use this excuse to force you to pay for 3rd-party data. People like you don't mind, that's fine but I do. I shouldn't have to pay to a company to not deliberately screw up something that they said they would provide for me. If they were going to provide crappy unusable data unless you pay, then they should say so right from the beginning instead of enticing people with a "feature-rich" platform that promises to work with their broker's to make people waste their time to go through all the hassles of programming the customized indicators, strategies and setting up everything and then deliberately screws up their broker's data just to force people pay to get 3rd-party data for them to make more money. Trust me I paid, I paid to Ninja Trader to use it for real trading using my strategies and they still f***ed up. It cost me several thousand dollars of losses on one day. And when I talked to them, their solution was I have to pay more to get 3rd-party data!! You have no problem because you PAID for their data. That's why I said Ninja Trader is really a data seller with a platform as the bait.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    #28     Dec 2, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  9. JSOP

JSOP

That is absolute bull. I have always done it from my PC and I've never had problems. The current PC today is powerful enough to carry out calculations for NASA it should certainly be able to handle some algorithms from a trading software. LOL Just because Ninja Trader can't handle it doesn't mean other trading software can't.

#29     Dec 2, 2018
    comagnum likes this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

The lagging issue is NOT due to data surge. Another poster who did not understand the problem. The price spikes is a problem on Ninja Trader's end!!! It's cuz it's too slow to fetch the price during the afternoon rollover for forex according to my suspicion. Please re-read my post. And this I observed in forex. CL and NG are NOT forex.

#30     Dec 2, 2018