Sierra Chart, Ninja Trader and TradeStation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by hurricane_sh, Nov 30, 2018.

1. When using SC for daytrading stocks would you recommend SC´s realtime datafeed or would IB´s datafeed be sufficent? I know that IB`s datafeed is not tick by tick but couldn´t find a discussion about SC´s datafeed qualitiy here.

#111     May 8, 2020
    greenmoose likes this.
  2. @Overnight which broker do you use with NT? I'm thinking about using NT8 for execution thru Interactive Brokers. Sort of torn between NT and IRT (trading futures using volume profile). Currently using the free version of NT8 just to check it out, and it seems pretty slick, but need to make sure it'll play well with IB.

#112     May 19, 2020
    greenmoose likes this.
  3. Hey @RedDuke I'm thinking about using NT thru IB for trading futures, using volume profiling. Are you still happy with the NT --> IB setup? And what data are you using?

#113     May 19, 2020
    greenmoose likes this.
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

very happy. Robust and super cheap. Production runs data of kinetick and backup runs on iqfeed.

one thing, you will need IB gateway to avoid daily bounce of tws.

#114     May 19, 2020
  5. marianfed

marianfed

Thank you very much, that's a good fact.

#115     Jun 28, 2020
  6. Koros

Koros

SierraChart is very particular software. It is made by fanatics coders that are obsessed with performance and features.
    As I first started using the software, I found something missing and I made a suggestion.
    The NEXT DAY, it was implemented, and available in the next release by the end of week.
    So here I was a total newbie, influencing the development of that huge software. To this day there is a setting checkbox in the software that originated from one of my remark.

They are constantly adding feature and refinements to their products, with almost weekly releases if not more. Same for their documentation.... if something isn't clear, they will update it on the fly. You won't find any company like this.

Also they have a very distinct advantage: they became data vendor with their own hardware. And order routing. And there are talks that they will create their exchange.
    Example of one advantage: they have servers in Europe with direct connectivity to Eurex. Huge advantage for european based traders. Did you know, that with rithmic for instance, even if you choose the frankfurt server, the data goes all the way to the US, then back to europe?

All in all from my experience in using both. SierraChart is better in most aspects, in particular performance and stability. Oh and it is written in C++ and fully supports the entire language for your own developments.
    Sierra supports very advanced and reliable autotrading.

HOWEVER, there are some things Ninja does better: the entire backtesting and optimization stack (you can't even optimize in sierra). And that can be a big deal for some. Even for me. Also coding support is better in ninja forums where staff on Ninja will answer your questions directly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    #116     Aug 10, 2021
  7. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Ninja will answer with any questions you may have

#117     Aug 10, 2021
  8. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

As a broker, I am very pleased with Sierra features and overall value for the $$.

Probably my best "charting software per monthly cost".

#118     Aug 11, 2021