SICKEST trading office environment EVER!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by abjrsf, Aug 20, 2011.

1. #21     Aug 20, 2011
  2. #22     Aug 20, 2011
  3. These are some nice places for me to hit up! Thanks

#23     Aug 20, 2011
  4. Why can't there be firms like this in Toronto?

Sigh...

#24     Aug 21, 2011
  5. the hardware is impressive for m&n but the natural light from the side windows would make it almost impossible to see. maybe it's just me but i prefer an dark environment.

i'm currently contracted w/ a major developer to build a trading room for my firm but here is a pic of our current setup. try not to get the drool on your keyboards.

#25     Aug 21, 2011
  6. dewton

dewton

Actually that kind of looks like my local library.

#26     Aug 21, 2011
  7. I worked at a few prop firms that have setups like this, but it's hard to really get anything out of these types of places. After a long day, I just don't care about yoga or a zen garden. I just want to go home and rest. And these types of places always have these city-views. I used to think that was cool and I had a view of the skyline, but after a while, what happens is that you just get used to the view and it fails to impress because it's just part of the background.

You can try and try and try to get a nice office with nice things, but ultimately there are a few things things that matter in a trading firm:

- A good chair, most important thing. It is not unreasonable to spend a few thousand dollars per chair, where the chair is adjustable and reasonably well constructed.
    - High quality computer monitors
    - Proper lighting
    - Sun light, well-lit, but still the right temperature (not too hot)
    - Reasonable dress code
    - No idiots on the trading floor. I hate loud mouths who can't keep it together when things aren't working.

Everything else is just for show.

#27     Aug 21, 2011
  8. Really this is all so disappointingly regressive. Decades back we had indoor trees spanning seven floors, huge waterfalls, power dressing instead of shabby hoodies and bulletproof glass in case a client with a shotgun arrived unexpectedly, as happened in one NY office with dire consequences before the installation of said glass.

Outside we had the bullring with either bands performing during lunch break or otherwise it became an outdoor ice skating rink in the blazing sun.

Tailors measured us up for suits at our desks the masseuse would ensure we coped with the pressure in between lines of coke. What's the world coming to these days?

(Sorry got no photos. At the time I was a kid who thought this was more or less what everyone experienced.)

#28     Aug 21, 2011
  9. #29     Aug 21, 2011
  10. #30     Aug 21, 2011