Sick Feeling

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by JORGE, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Your "truth" doesn't hurt. It makes me sad that you might actually see life the way you say you do.

#21     Mar 21, 2003
  2. Optional,

I don't think candletrader is wrong. He's doing what he needs to do to support himself. It is not a cause and effect chain. People aren't dieing because candletrader is making trades. The market is moving because that is what it does -- no matter what the circumstance. If it goes up while others are dieing, that is just the way of it and that is the nature of society / economics, etc.

If you have personal problems with trading while we are at war, then sit it out and wait. However, don't assume that there is something innately immoral about trading throughout this conflict.

Should I stop going to work because of this? This is how I make my money, likewise, that is how a trader makes his money -- by trading.

Chill out. If innocent people die from our bombs, it will eventually be far less than the amount of innocent people Saddam would have tortured and killed.

#22     Mar 21, 2003
  3. Rationalize all you like. This is not a normal day. Your lack of "civilization" in the name of trading is not humane.

#23     Mar 21, 2003
  4. prox

prox

Not any worse than shorting the stock of an airline that just crashed.

#24     Mar 21, 2003
  5. Aphie,

It is true, that it is necessary at times to compartmentalize our emotions from our intellect, in order to do our job.

However, most civilized people, after the fact begin to actually feel. They begin to feel compassion, sadness, genuine sense of awe of the war and destruction. They have the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others and see from their perspectives, and have sympathy and understanding.

Almost immediately we see from candletrader a smiley face following his profitable trades and thanking Saddam.

If you really view that as adult, civilized, mature, and to be applauded or emulated, I have misjudged you.

#25     Mar 21, 2003

6. Well said, Brother Aphie... I couldn't have said it better myself...

#26     Mar 21, 2003
  7. So what... I am entitled to my personal sense of celebration once a trade is closed... for the record, I would also trade through another September 11th...

#27     Mar 21, 2003
  8. You are entitled. You are entitled to be in denial as well.

#28     Mar 21, 2003
  9. LOL!

Coming from you, that's a classic!

The altitude of your moral high ground is that of the Dead Sea.....

#29     Mar 21, 2003
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

We tried to trade, but the pyshcological impact is too much and it affected all our trades negatively. Even Bob who is very detached about these things.
    Guess I can imagine what it feels like to be blown up and it makes me feel like I am picking bones in a graveyard.:(

#30     Mar 21, 2003