Shutdown: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UsualName, Jan 19, 2018.

Will the government shut down tonight?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2018.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. UsualName

UsualName

I’m not interested in who’s to blame in this thread, I’m interested if you think there will be a shutdown.

I’m saying yes (~80%).

It seems like the House CR passed last night doesn’t have the votes, so they are kicking around a five day extension in the Senate but who would rather vote for that than just sitting down and hashing it out?

2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I believe there will be a shutdown.

However I do not support a shutdown -- this continuous cycle of budget and cap battles shutting down the Federal government is absurd. Both sides of the aisle deserve a big spanking over this.

bullmarket79 likes this.
  3. Can someone save me the trouble of looking up why the Senate can't pass a CR on a simple majority vote?

Dems are making a huge mistake here. They have so little respect for Trump, they don't realize he has lured them into a kill zone. They are trying to change the subject from a shutdown over amnesty to other issues but the public is not that stupid.

wildchild likes this.
  4. UsualName

UsualName

It needs 60 to advance because it’s a spending bill.

5. Tom B

Tom B

The 51 vote threshold is for
    Reconciliation (and judicial appointments). All other bills require 60 votes to end debate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconciliation_(United_States_Congress)

6. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Republicans have the power to eliminate the 60 vote rule so a shut down is on them.

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Republicans ended the 60 vote rule for Gorsuch but they wont do it for the military and the peoples government,sad

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  8. jem

jem

Its all kabuki bullshit like the last shutdown and the fake NBC poll that came out back then.
    The establishment Rs want to give the dems want they want. A shutdown may give them cover with a few fake polls.
    A shutdown would be good if the Rs were really on the side of their constituents.

here is the risk...
    Ryan will call the house back in because of the "Crisis" and he and McConnell will give clean amnesty and 3.6 million new democrat votes and maybe chain migration for a bloated budget we don't want anyway.

You know the fix is in when all of a sudden Lindsay Graham starts "acting" like a man with guts. (he had to step into the white makeup role for McCain) He an McConnell have all ready blocked out his moves. They probably called in boehner as a script consultant.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  9. How is this different from Reconciliation? Why can't they do the budget under Reconciliation? Do they have any options that do not require a super-majority?

I hope Trump sees that his presidency is at stake. If he cucks out on us, no reelection possible. Accepting the Graham plan is cucking out on a grand scale. I trust only three people, Sen. Tom Cotton, Rep. Steve King and Steven Miller, Trump's speechwriter.

10. Tom B

Tom B

I think budget reconciliation can only be done once per year under the law. Republicans should have eliminated the filibuster rules in January 2017. Democrats will when they need to, without hesitation. I don't think Republicans have the votes to change the rules now. The two Arizona flakes (Jeff and John), and Lindsey Graham probably wouldn't vote to change the rules.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    #10     Jan 19, 2018