Shroud Of Turin Determined From Time Of Jesus

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by pspr, Mar 28, 2013.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

They weren't ordinary nails pounded through His hands and feet. Anyone who knows anything about human anatomy will tell you a typical nail wouldn't hold that amount of weight... The "nails" pounded through His hands and feet were basically spikes as we would know them to be. The pain He suffered is not only off the charts, it's not able to be fathomed by us mortals... And that's not even mentioning the SICK beating He took for hours which literally tore the skin off Him...

#51     Mar 29, 2013
  2. You'll have to tell me what your defination of religion is so maybe I can understand what you're talking about.

#52     Mar 30, 2013
  3. Well, yes - the traditional word "nails" is of course not accurate, but "nailed to the cross" is common usage.

The blood tracks on the arms are also correct. Death by crucifixion is a mixture of shock and asphyxiation. The weight of the body compresses the chest cavity with the arms outstretched. The only way to catch a breath is to push up using the feet, which is why they drive a spike through them to make that excruciatingly painful too. The person shifts his weight to alleviate some stress on each wrist in turn, making the blood flow from the wrists at distinct angles. You were meant to suffer for a long time, though breaking your legs would suffocate you sooner.

The person in the image on the shroud appears to have a broken nose. Probably a Roman soldier punched him or struck him with an object hard enough to break it. It's likely he didn't stop at just one blow either.

The scourge marks are intense. He was being punished and humiliated severely for some accused crime before being crucified. This was not some ordinary criminal judging from how they dealt with him.

#53     Mar 30, 2013
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

The History channel just ran a show at 11:00 AM Eastern about the shroud. I have no question who was wrapped in that shroud.

#54     Mar 30, 2013
  5. Dustin

Dustin

I think you may need to review the definition of common sense. If you could read what you wrote from someone's point of view who wasn't raised a Christian you could see how insane it all sounds. Remember, 2/3rds of the world population don't believe what you believe (and these numbers go up every year). We don't believe what you believe, the same reason you don't believe what Muslims believe.

#55     Mar 30, 2013
  6. Well, scientifically speaking...... :D

The shroud exists. Even with the repair piece that was tested, it is at least as old as late 1300's-early 1400's.

It has a discernible image on it. More so when viewed in photographic negative.

The image shows wounds consistent with the Biblical description of the passion and crucifixion of Jesus. It also displays the correct idiosyncrasies for a crucifixion.

Scientists from NASA who have examined it cannot explain how the image was formed, nor can they reproduce it in quality.

The herringbone weave pattern of the shroud is consistent with Jewish weaving of the Biblical time of Jesus.

Pollen lifted from the shroud with scotch tape and examined under microscope says it was in the area of the Biblical Jesus at some point in it's existence.

Having an item soaked in a dead man's blood was against Jewish law. Someone decided it was valuable enough to break the law and remove it from the tomb where it was used, hiding it for safe-keeping.

The previous carbon-14 dating was ruled contaminated and inaccurate.

Easter approaches.

:D

#56     Mar 30, 2013
  7. pspr

pspr

I guess in the end we will all find out what belief was right and what beliefs were wrong. If you belief death is the end, then for you maybe it will be. But I don't think even for those it will be that simple.

Jesus eluded to a truth that only the Disciples were to know. I think that truth is that God loves everyone and is going to be more lenient at the final judgment than we have been told. The good in even those who believe some other faith or no faith may live on in the firmament outside of heaven. To us mere mortals, it would equate to not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The bottom line is to live what you believe. To go against what you honestly believe to be the truth may be the greatest sin of all.

But, mostly this is my speculation from Biblical reading and factual observation. I could be completely wrong and Jesus may be the only way for man to live forever. In heaven or without. Everyone has to make up their own mind. But, I'm pretty certain that the more you know and believe the more you are required to act accordingly.

#57     Mar 30, 2013
  8. In the Bible, Jesus was said to have spoken: "For men, it is impossible. But for God, all things are possible."

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.
    And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
    —Matthew 22:35-40

#58     Mar 30, 2013
  9. pspr

pspr

I don't recall off the top of my head where it is, but in one of the Gospels Jesus refers to information that only the Disciples are to know. This was the passage I am referring to in my post above.

We have been told the path to God is only through Jesus. But, the statement alludes to more understanding. And, there is knowledge about those who are not in the presence of God. Demons, spirits, etc. Those beings or spirits may be in a place outside of Heaven where they don't feel the presence of God but not in what we think of as Hell.

We have been told the path but we haven't been bogged down with complete information of Heaven, Hell and anything in between. We have intentionally not been told the rest of the story.

As an example, the Jewish people do not believe Jesus was the messiah. Is God going to forsake all the Jews who where his chosen people throughout history? I find it hard to believe that there isn't a reward for Jews.

And, what of all the people who lived before Jesus. Are they all forsaken? Are Moses and David not going receive the rewards of Heaven? There is a passage that 'not even David is in Heaven.' I take this as referring to his soul, not his spirit. His soul will be joined when everyone else's soul is joined to their spirits at the 2nd coming.

We know that God is spirit. But man will eventually be spirit and soul. A unique being in Heaven.

#59     Mar 30, 2013
  10. When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.

When Jesus says "But with God, all things are possible." that is rather explicit.

What is possible is not just what is known now, but all that is still unknown.

For Demokritos, the idea of the atom was a possibility in 500 B.C. For others, the possibility wasn't an issue because it had not occurred to them yet.

Humans have 5 senses to examine the universe - seen and unseen. Is that enough to discern everything? What exists that no one has yet imagined possible?

#60     Mar 30, 2013