Shroud Of Turin Determined From Time Of Jesus

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by pspr, Mar 28, 2013.

1. BTW, the historical provenance of the Sudarium can be reliably traced back even further than the Shroud.

It is an oddity in itself that the two artifacts even survived, as being in possession of an item covered in a dead man's blood was against Jewish law, and whoever took them for safe-keeping was in grave peril for doing so.

#11     Mar 28, 2013
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Again, there is evidence ALL AROUND documenting the life of Jesus. The Shroud is what I'd call another "smoking gun" when it comes to evidence...

#12     Mar 28, 2013
  3. pspr

pspr

Yes, it's not the shroud that proves the life of Jesus. Historians have found plenty of evidence that he lived. The shroud is just further probable evidence that something miraculous happened. If it didn't exist that would mean nothing as far as Christianity is concerned.

#13     Mar 28, 2013
  4. It's ok. :D

Don't be upset if someone challenges your faith.

Rather, look at it as an opportunity to examine it more closely with a critical eye...

:D

#14     Mar 28, 2013
  5. Dustin

Dustin

As an atheist I'm hoping you can provide some scientific historical evidence, that would be great. From everything I've read there is no written word of Jesus until nearly 50 years after death by Paul who neglected to write anything about the now common knowledge of Jesus. It wasn't' until 20 years later (70 years after supposed death) that people wrote about his actual life? Maybe in 2058 someone can write about Obama so we can learn about all the great things he did...sorry, sarcasm.

He lived in the age of Augustus, an age of poets and historians...yet not one written word by Jesus...not one. Seems strange, no?

Don't you guys find it strange that Dionysus, the son of Zeus, had a virgin mother, born during winter solstice Dec 25th, and was killed and resurrected after 3 days? You guys really consider this a coincidence?

#15     Mar 28, 2013
  6. Dustin

Dustin

As an atheist I'm hoping you can provide some scientific historical evidence, that would be great. From everything I've read there is no written word of Jesus until nearly 50 years after death by Paul who neglected to write anything about the now common knowledge of Jesus. It wasn't' until 20 years later (70 years after supposed death) that people wrote about his actual life? Maybe in 2058 someone can write about Obama so we can learn about all the great things he did...sorry, sarcasm.

He lived in the age of Augustus, an age of poets and historians...yet not one written word by Jesus...not one. Seems strange, no?

Don't you guys find it strange that Dionysus, the son of Zeus, had a virgin mother, born during winter solstice Dec 25th, and was killed and resurrected after 3 days? You guys really consider this a coincidence?

#16     Mar 28, 2013
  7. :D :D :D :eek:

#17     Mar 29, 2013
  8. :D :D

#18     Mar 29, 2013
  9. Why do you put the big smiley faces on all of your posts?

#19     Mar 29, 2013
  10. Hoping someone will notice them and ask:

"Why do you put the big smiley faces on all of your posts? "

:D

#20     Mar 29, 2013