Should you focus on one stock?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by baller1069, Apr 3, 2008.

1. what are you buying and selling there? option contracts?

so you sold 4 option contracts of GOOG for 0.76 and bought them back for 0.3975?

Thanx for clarifying.

#21     Apr 4, 2008
  2. Yes, those stocks move, and with a posted P and L, credible and impressive. My question is though, if you want to share it is, how do you establish the entry...tape reading, enter on a trend and hold thru the pain or ????????

#22     Apr 4, 2008
  3. I somedays trade and focus on one stock. I'll sometimes just put one or two on my screener not to get distracted by other crap.

I usually do it with ETF's like DXD.

But this month I made a few trades on WM. I do the Superman 3 approach and scalp 1/4-1/2 move on block trades. I shoot for 3-5% and bail.

#23     Apr 4, 2008
  4. Absolutely. I used to trade a screen full but I have paired back to just a couple. Less stress, more control, better results for my style.

#24     Apr 6, 2008
  5. What if GE gaps down and your nephew is long? Remember BSC?
    I like the concept of one to 5 underlyings, but I like ETFs only. They do not gap from $30 to $3 overnight.

#25     Apr 6, 2008
  6. Your approach and mine seem similar in the way we trade the underlying! Direction, protection, and "thetation". In other words, we trade stops.

#26     Apr 6, 2008
  7. jsmith

jsmith

I do not trade options. I trade the securities.
    The third column is the number of shares.
    The last column is the commission I paid.

Edit: See next post for screenshot with column headers.

#27     Apr 6, 2008
  8. jsmith

jsmith

There are many ways to trade them and no right way.
    I could not tell you anything new than what is already posted on many threads here on ET.

I was only able to trade for about 2 1/2 hours on Friday.

#28     Apr 6, 2008
  9. jsmith

jsmith

I agree. I know I can trade any liquid stock but the stocks that are volatile provide more predictable opportunies to capitalize on. The commissions are also cheaper too since you would trade less shares.

#29     Apr 6, 2008

10. I read somewhere that GE is so diversified as a company that it correlates almost perfectly with the performance of the S&P 500. In that sense, GE is an ETF in itself. :p

#30     Apr 6, 2008