Should You Feel Guilty About Walking Away?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by richardyu301, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Remember in Feudal times the peasants had enough shit and hit the draw bridge with the ram. :D

#11     Dec 23, 2009

2. ...............................................

Also ....a very FAIR statement....

Whichs suggests for a better govt. structure that cannot be played....

Constructed such that the movement is restricted to proven expertise....that also contains rules for immediate corrections when methods fail to work .....

At the moment....the same polys that ARE the cancer....are allowed to try to cure the cancer....

The RESULT being....?????

MORE OF THE SAME....CANCER KEEPS SPREADING.....

It is all about system design....

#12     Dec 23, 2009
  3. Suppose if after the default, I gave some money to the poor.

That should cancel out the immorality.

#13     Dec 23, 2009
  4. spinn

spinn

I live in DC and nobody in my area would ever demonstrate for anything. We had a condo manager who everyone believed was stealing from us; even the condo President.....no matter how many times I asked hm, he would not even look at her building issued credit card statement.

This was despite the fact that on dozens of occasions he stated he believed she was stealing.

This country is not remotely similar to what it was even 20 years ago.

#14     Dec 23, 2009
  5. Do you wear the Golden Slacks? Haven't I seen you volunteering for news photo opps. :D

#15     Dec 23, 2009
  6. Even the ppl that demonstrate are just brainwashed dolts watching Glen Beck. Beck has a few decent points, but that's it. This country is controlled by Corp. America plain and simple.

How about we do what smart ppl. do Question Authority! This country brainwashes ppl. from an early age what with Pep rallys and crap. If you questioned 911 after it happened you were considered a traitor and treasonuous.

#16     Dec 23, 2009
  7. xburbx

xburbx

the only thing that will cause people to do anything is when every person is impacted in such a way that they dont have a choice. we are not a proactive society. people will react only when they are in a corner. if the time comes where food is 100x its cost or unemployment is so high that the economy collapses , then people might do something. i wouldnt give that situation any more credit than neighbor robbing from neighbor in a state of anarchy. the only issue with that is there will probably be martial law preventing it. just like the market , predicting is worthless and playing the cards in your hand at that moment is going to be the way to survive.

as far as walking away from a mortgage, i still think it is theft regardless of if you believe it is the moral person being left holding the bag. it's the burden and risk you take on by getting the mortgage to begin with. i would rather be poor and moral than rich and not moral. plenty of people are rich and moral, it is just easier to do it the immoral way, which i disagree with. that also takes on a whole different concept which is that we are lazy by nature and most people will take shortcuts anywhere they can.

#17     Dec 23, 2009
  8. opt789

opt789

The opening post pointed out the idea of a single homeowner vs. a company. Since we know for a fact companies walk away from bad deals all the time, whether they be real estate or otherwise, I still have yet to see a comment from anyone who can show people are “immoral” and businesses are not. Is it immoral to make money trading, since you are “stealing” it from some losing trader, or did both traders know the rules/laws before entering the trade and subsequently made a decision based on their financial situation? Is every person who has every declared bankruptcy immoral? Specific definitions of morality are obviously a debatable, but I am not sure what it has to do with a financial transaction and following the known laws related to it.

Everyone involved in a real estate purchase knows the buyer may default under current laws at any time for any number of reasons, so if a homeowner chooses to make a financial decision to default on a home that is, and will be for a long time, underwater and the financier knew this was a possibility under the law then where does morality enter the picture?

If some of you are bemoaning the overall lack and obvious decline of morality in the human race, then I can’t agree with you more, but that is another debate. If any of you know the internal workings and decisions of the major companies that control most of the world’s commerce, and think that morality is a chief concern in their financial dealings then you live in a very delusional state.

#18     Dec 23, 2009
  9. xburbx

xburbx

i dont look at the comment as a who is more wrong and why. i look at it as each person has an obligation to pay back a loan. regardless of a business walking away, another person etc. if each person did as they said they would, this thread wouldnt exist. trading is not stealing, but rather an agreed to price which is paid. you cant walk away from a bad trade. when you are in , you are in. you live with your decision to make the trade

#19     Dec 23, 2009
  10. What was it that Churchill said about this...?

#20     Dec 23, 2009