Should we use the 200 day EMA or SMA?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by pragmatic-trader, May 24, 2020.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

I use Envelopes to give SMA's / EMA's a Width.

#31     May 25, 2020
    tommcginnis and qlai like this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

great. I am the only one using no indicators at all.

#32     May 25, 2020
  3. qlai

qlai

Volume is an indicator, no?

#33     May 25, 2020
    tommcginnis likes this.
  4. maxinger

maxinger

most people use time based candle sticks (eg 1 min chart, 5 mins chart, 15 mins chart ...)

my charts are volume based candle sticks (eg 1k contracts = 1 candle, 3K contracts = 1 candle, 9K contracts = 1 candle ....).

so in that sense, I do consider volume as something very important.

#34     May 25, 2020
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I don't recall Covel's book to carry so much as a single algebraic equation. == Total fluff.
    Takes 300+ pages to say "great traders make millions in up or down markets."
    I recall (bitterly) reading the entire thing in a weekend road trip, 5.5 hours each way, tucked into the back of a car and unable to escape. It was either read Covell or go to studying candy wrappers and tourist brochures from the floor and seat pockets. == Not recommended.

#35     May 25, 2020
    Axon and Slope Trader like this.
  6. old coot

old coot

The 200 day moving average on the S&P500 has been completely irrelevant for the last 3 months, but may show up tomorrow. 3 months wrong vs (possibly) the next few days relevant. I wouldn't bet on those odds. There is some argument you could make that the 200 day moving average was relevant from 2/27 to 3/5, and there was a pause there for those days, BUT the index had already fallen 340 points by then. I wouldn't want to be holding long for a 340 point drop because it was still above the 200 day moving average, regardless if it was a SMA or EMA. And I would not care to have held a short position from 2200 until now because it was below the 200 day moving average. Any indicator that you're using for entries or exits needs to be relevant to the price action, and 200 days is forever in today's world.

#36     May 25, 2020
  7. Tradex

Tradex

??

Michael Covel provides REAL proof, REAL data, REAL results and decades of actual performance charts from professional money managers that show that simple trend-following techniques work.

Most hedge funds and mutual funds hate the guy because he basically shows the average trader that he does not need them.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    #37     May 25, 2020
  8. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

I wait for 200 ma (...) crosses, to decide whether to scalp, do nothing or scalp + swing.

I think that is the best method for me this far ;

#38     May 25, 2020
  9. Tradex

Tradex

Here are the major moving averages:

SMA (Simple Moving Average)
    EMA (Exponential Moving Average)
    DMA (Double exponential moving average)
    TMA (Triple exponential moving average)
    LWMA (Linear Weighted Moving Average)
    SMM (Simple Moving Median)
    SMMA (Smoothed Moving Average)
    HMA (Hull Moving Average)
    NoLagMa (No Lag Moving Average)
    KAMA (Kaufman Adaptive Moving Average)
    PPMA (Pivot Point Moving Average)
    TRMA (Triangular Moving Average)
    WMA (Wilders Moving Average)
    FAMA (Fractal Adaptive Moving Average)
    VIDYA (Variable Index Dynamic Average)
    LSMA (Least Squares Moving Average)
    DMA (Displaced Moving Average)

Blah... blah... blah... blah...

Guys, don't get carried away with all these moving averages, they ALL tell the same story! Just stick with the one you like best ( a simple moving average will do) and you will be fine, trust me on this one.

#39     May 25, 2020
  10. Hi Tradex,

I know there are indicators that repaint and the ZigZag and Linear Regression Channel indicators and a few others like them are infamous for doing it.

However, basic moving averages like the SMA, EMA, or WMA don't repaint. Once a price bar closes in a particular time frame and the MA has set its location, it will never change for that bar.

If you are seeing actual repainting like e.g., the ZigZag indicator does, this might be an indication that your charting software has a glitch.

#40     May 25, 2020
    pragmatic-trader likes this.