Should we execute drug dealers?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Does executing drug dealers include the biggest dealers, like those peddling nicotine and alcohol, or only the (currently) illegal drugs that aren't regulated and taxed? :confused:

#11     Mar 6, 2003
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

I forgot, how many people are killed by cigarettes each year, somewhere higher than a quarter million. Isn't that death and destruction, some might even suggest murder....

#12     Mar 6, 2003
  3. Magna, I definitely agree that an argument can definitely be made that nicotine and alcohol cause death and destruction. However, smokers and drinkers are not generally running around burglarizing our homes, killing kids, and committing umpteen crimes so they can buy a pack of Marlboros or a six-pack. I don't think your heaviest smoker or drinker is spending $1,000 a week to feed their habit.

Drunk driving sickens me and I'm definitely for much harsher penalties. You read all the time about drunk drivers who have been arrested umpteen times and then they finally go out and cause a crash that leaves their victims dead while the drunk driver walks away with a scratch or two. Just insane.

#13     Mar 6, 2003
  4. Good point. My semantics need correction.

What I'm trying to say is that FEAR on the side of the pusher/dealers would greatly reduce the supply, and thus, hopefully, the levels of crime.

You are absolutely right that demand comes from the user side. I don't think any measure will be able to curb demand as a large segment of our population has an unquenchable thirst for self-destruction. Treatment and education need to remain in place and expanded - please note that I am NOT advocating a "kill-the-dealers-and-end-treatment/education" by any means.

Let's continue treating addicts but at the same time make the pusher/dealer side risk their very lives for their livelihood.

#14     Mar 6, 2003
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

legalize drugs and you wont see anyone spending a $1000.00 a week. Prices would drop drastically. Crime associated with drugs would drop just as fast as the price.......But I have to admit, I cant see how you can legalize drugs like cocaine or crack....peace

#15     Mar 6, 2003
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

there is no easy solution.....make it harder to sell ( by killing dealers ) and prices go higher causing more addicts to do more stealing or whatver they do to get more money. Besides the guys you want " the cartels of the world" dont live under our jurisdiction and some even live under the protection of their Government........Not an easy problem to solve.

#16     Mar 6, 2003
  7. Babak

Babak

Look at the Dutch experience. Nuff said.

#17     Mar 6, 2003
  8. Agreed, there is no easy solution. But hey, the cartels rely on the distributors in this country. We can definitely get to them.....

p.s. I loved that scene in "Clear and Present Danger" when the F-18 dropped that laser-guided bomb on the cartel meeting.

#18     Mar 6, 2003
  9. Are you referring to the fact that many drugs are legal there and there is a comprehensive treatment system including providing addicts with clean needles, etc. ?

Please elaborate.

#19     Mar 6, 2003

10. LMAO!!!:D

#20     Mar 6, 2003