Should we be able to vote ET members and moderators "off the island"?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Port1385, Sep 23, 2008.

Should we have the ability to vote off ET members and moderators?

1. Yes, we should have the power to vote.

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. No, Baron is da pimp and what he says goes.

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Lets look at the facts objectively.

You are the moderator of the "Trading" thread where you tolerate a 500 page rambling thread dedicated to the re-posting of calls from a questionable pay-for-trading-advice website. This thread in question has no new advice or value except to demonstrate the calls made from the pay-for-trading-advice website.

Now you come on here suggesting a method on how to screen persons from Elitetrader.

Who are you are screening out? Obviously, you fully accept spam type posts which repost the calls from other websites.

I'll admit, sometimes my posts can be questionable and I have posted under more then one handle, but you are the moderator and Im just the average "Joe". You are supposed to moderate the discussion and be an upstanding member of the ET community, instead, you selectively remove some spam while letting other spammy posts stay. You are not doing your job and letting others advertise their calls on the site.

For you to lecture Baron on new ways to screen persons from the site is like Spitzer lecturing on how prostitution is bad.

#11     Sep 25, 2008
  2. 1. Not lecturing anyone on anything. I'm merely saying that, if given the opportunity, I could prevent unwanted users from returning to the site - or at least make it much, much harder for them.

2. Just because you don't like Rennick doesn't mean I should close his thread. I don't personally follow any of his calls (I might have joked about one in the entire thread) but if he is posting trading calls - regardless of how they are received - they have a right to be there. Just like your calls on Freddie, AIG, etc.. (all great calls, by the way). I didn't move them to chit-chat either.

What else would you like to look objectively at? You claim objective review, but you certainly don't look at things objectively

#12     Sep 25, 2008
  3. I think it IS possible to block users, but it certainly is not easy. If someone uses proxies like Megaproxy, you need to have regularly updated blacklists - but that is certainly doable. It will be a cat-and-mouse game, but in the end it will be tiring for the mouse and eventually the perp will exhaust proxy entry points.

Another thing are the shell accounts and so on...
    It is possible to continue popping back for a really long time... the guy could even invent his own proxy by registering to free webhosting services, and set up a tunnel... the possibilities are endless, really.

I have another view on user blocking, and I think some kind of user- and post-scoring works best. I am also not in favor of blocking users, censorship etc. There are better ways to deal with it - but someone as disruptive as that other guy from Australia - something must be done of course. This discussion board is not a democracy after all...
    :D

#13     Sep 25, 2008
  4. Here is a fundamental point that you are either missing or choosing to ignore.

The fundamental point is that the calls I make are my own calls.

Rennick's calls are not his own and simply plagarized from another website.

So let me put this in very simple terms:

My posts= original calls

Rennick's posts= plagarized from a pay-site that charges 200 a month

#14     Sep 25, 2008
  5. LMAO, you can't pay money for this kind of entertainment. :p

Why would anyone want to block any of these guys? :D :)

And as has already been mentioned, the guys who can't cut it or aren't interested in the jungle warfare just leave, are ignored or pack their shit and go.

We've lost silly ass, horrofic vendors, InvestingVue comes to mind, and some really good to even great traders ... that list is way too long.

So what, it all comes out in the wash.

The posters who are really offensive and whom people can't stand, well, the people just let them know who they are, and they have their little feuds.

It's the way it is ... if you really wanted to get rid of people, just have Baron charge an entry fee, you'd see people running for the exits as fast as they can.

Hell, I can't think of five people who would actually pay good money for this.

#15     Sep 26, 2008

6. LOL

#16     Sep 26, 2008

7. How the fuk do you manage to get time to write all this sort of stuff??? LOL :eek: :D :p

#17     Sep 26, 2008
  8. Great, and here is my simple commentary back to you:

BOTH are allowed to exist on the forum.

#18     Sep 26, 2008
  9. Yes, but all your IPs are under the same range.

And you're right, I don't have a small enough tweezer for your cock.

#19     Sep 26, 2008
  10. LoL, best post by a mod ever!!

#20     Sep 26, 2008