Should the Supreme Court overturn Roe V. Wade?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dgabriel, Mar 8, 2003.

1. GIve your answer

2. hell no!

3. No.

However, I am for some restrictions.

F. PeBBLe

4. Only if the Supreme court were all female, and of no political or religious agenda.

5. no..

6. rs7

rs7

Best answer in the history of ET!

7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I remember demonstrating for the right to have an abortion when I was a teenager. Burning the old bra!
    MY BODY, MY RULES!
    Shocks and saddens me that anyone is thinking of taking that right away.:mad: :mad:

8. Give your answer.

9. if you get pregnant you LOSE certain rights. TOO BAD, so be careful!

10. I suppose this discussion could get contentious very quickly, but I think you have to separate the constitutional law issue from the policy question. The Roe case purported to be constitutional law but even very liberal law professors at the time conceded it was a terrible piece of legal reasoning. Simply put, there is nothing in the constitution that gives anyone privacy rights related to their own body. If there were, the drug and prostitution laws would be equally unconstitutinal. States likewise could not ban assisted suicide. You may think that is ridiculous, but you and I didn't write the constitution. If we ignore its plain meaning anytime we want to achieve a particular policy result, we might as well throw it away altogether and drop the pretense.

What many people tend to overlook is that overturning Roe will not make abortion illegal. It will simply return the issue to its proper forum, which is the states. Each state can legislate on the issue as it sees fit. If you happen to live in a state that chooses to restrict abortion, that might pose an inconvenience for you, but it is a certainty that many states will allow it.

I know many see the Roe decision as a convenient way of resolving a difficult question. The problem however is that our system of government reserves this type of issue for the political branches. When issues are taken away from the political branches and resolved by judicial fiat, people lose the right to self-government, which itself is guaranteed by the constitution.

#10     Mar 8, 2003