Should Students Be Taught To Attack Shooters?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 17, 2007.

1. This one is an easy prediction

There are currently 6.5 Billion people on planet earth... How many will live to be 120 years old???

#51     Apr 19, 2007
  2. Exactly! Bots overlook the obvious to fight for the nebulous.

Forgiveness overlooks the nebulous to see the obvious.

Jesus

#52     Apr 19, 2007
  3. It's always those who dont understand the authority God gave US on this planet during the re-creation that ask him to prove a miracle.
    Sorta reminds me of Satan at the end of Jesus 40 days telling him to cast himself down because the Old Testament said "He shall give his angels charge over thee, lest though dash thy foot against a stone" Sorry for the king james-ese. LOL.

Satan always trying to con God into a miracle.

When truth be told, the power is in our hands to stop the killing. Until we as people on this planet decide to cease the violence, there will always be violence.

Jesus' brother James said it best this way...

So you want God to perform a miracle. Start Loving others... and see the miracle performed ... In Due Season...

#53     Apr 19, 2007
  4. Yeah they did, and what was his response prior to performing the miracle??? What was the necessary fuel for them to receive the miracle???

Satan didnt receive a miracle from Jesus, not because he was Satan, but because he had no faith in Jesus... If he did, then perhaps he wouldnt have gotten tossed out. LOL. I will ... Bah... LOL.

Read a bible and understand it. LOL.

BTW my questions weren't rhetorical....

If the purpose of a miracle is so you will know him then the following statement easily qualifies who you are.

#54     Apr 19, 2007
  5. Typical answer... I prefer HorsePucky myself. LOL.

SO lets move on.

BTW you can read this in Luke Ch 11, if you care to read. The true Devil has read the bible...

Heck if you gonna fake out the ones who dont know Christ, might as well know what they dont know. LOL.. Read their own manual that they are too lazy to pick up... Hence them not Knowing the person they claim to serve.

..... And the Pharisees are back..... ( or perhaps they never left us. LOL)

#55     Apr 19, 2007
  6. Make a request that isn't against Gods Rules.

He told you to handle what goes on down here.

Then again you have been.. I can smell the stench....

of Course the Real Jesus gave me power to heal the sick... Thats fun. To watch a person get healed before your very eyes...

And for the naysayer, read Luke 11 again....

When you experience the REAL power of god, it makes you humble and exuberant all at once....

You just wanna run out and help everybody....

Circles???

Come on lets circle the wagons... The Pharisees are out... .... Yawn. LOL.

Forgive me for being so Silly tonight. I must've taken a silly pill or something...

#56     Apr 19, 2007
  7. [​IMG]
    Urban Meyer came to
    Florida two years ago
    promising Buford Pusser
    -like justice.

(Getty Images)

'Changing' the operative word for world, Florida's Meyer
    By Dennis Dodd, CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer, April 19, 2007

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It's the guns that bother Marty Johnson the most.

Fighting an Aryan gang in high school was tough enough for Johnson, who is African-American. The Peckerwoods, he says they were called. It took his entire high school experience and a bunch of student expulsions, but the "big, old race riots" finally died out. So did the swastikas and n-words spray-painted at Rio Linda High School.

Urban Meyer came to Florida two years ago promising Buford Pusser-like justice. (Getty Images)
    The former Utah tailback recently moved out of his native Sacramento, Calif., to Brigham City, Utah. Half to get away from the violence, half to be with his girlfriend.

That says a lot for a guy who should be in the gutter somewhere, a guy who certainly has a right to be bitter. Last year, a suspected gang member shot and killed Kevin Kimble outside a party in Oroville, a city about an hour from Sacramento. Kimble, 34, was shot in the back of the head.

He was Marty Johnson's brother.

Johnson wonders how some of those high school fights would have turned out 10 years ago if guns had been involved. He also wonders where he'd be without Urban Meyer, his coach at Utah.

"It seems that society was moving in a different direction," Johnson said of Florida's current national championship coach. "The carelessness for life, these days. That kid at Virginia Tech.

"That's the thing Coach Meyer had a hard time dealing with. If anybody failed a drug test, he couldn't believe stuff like that went on. He was raised Catholic, conservative."

Meyer has to believe now. The world has changed around him, near him.

His team has had its share of off-field incidents -- allegedly involving a gun and failed drug tests -- to go along with that amazing national championship in his second year at Florida. Too much wrongdoing, critics might say, for the guy who promised a get-tough policy for a program that was veering out of control under Ron Zook.

Two prominent players were arrested during the spring. Linebacker Dustin Doe was charged with fighting in public. Offensive guard Ronnie Wilson, was charged with a felony after shooting off a semi-automatic weapon in the street after a confrontation with a man at a Gainesville club.

Earlier in the spring, Meyer had to answer a question he thought he'd never hear.

Are you thinking about doing the same thing Miami is?

Miami coach Randy Shannon had to take the unique step of banning his players from having guns.

"Of course they're banned," Meyer said.

"Ever since that," he added, "I've done some research. It's a problem (though) not here."

But certainly nationwide in colleges. A study in the Journal of American College Health said 4.3 percent of 10,000 students surveyed had a working firearm at college. Almost 200 students (1.6 percent) had been threatened with a gun in college.

That study is almost five years old.

What does a redshirt sophomore competing for a starting job need with a semi-automatic rifle? How does a disturbed student in Virginia get hold of a Glock without some serious scrutiny?

"I don't think there's any question society is different than it was five years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago," Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said. "What kids can see on TV, what they can read on the Internet. There are things that are acceptable to people."

Maybe the NRA ought to be ashamed of itself. Maybe it's a case of the college kids mimicking the pros. Go into your average professional clubhouse or locker room. A growing percentage of players are strapped. But why?

"Protection, I guess?" Meyer said, as baffled as the rest of us. "I don't have any idea."

Pride has turned to bravado, which morphed into a battle stance that players carry with them off the field.

"No one wants to be the guy that backs down," said Johnson, who has been in NFL locker rooms and seen a rise in gun-toting athletes. "Society seems like it's moved in a different direction. Back in California where I'm from, I don't go out anymore. If you fight, the first thing they do is pull out a gun. It was getting out of hand."

Maybe folks notice the wrongdoing here more because Florida won it all. Maybe it's no more than any school in the hyper-competitive SEC, or around the country.

The fallacy here is that it was ever zero tolerance under Meyer. Mess up and you're gone. A recovering alcoholic named Marty Johnson can tell you that's not the case.

The term emerged in a column, one Florida official says, when Meyer arrived and cracked the whip. It took root. That made it easy to criticize when guys who strayed weren't immediately booted off the team.

"I'm the absolute opposite of that (zero tolerance)," Meyer said. "That kind of ------ me off. We're tough. (But) we change people. We don't eliminate people. There's people that think discipline is elimination. Discipline is education, spending time with them."

That's why it was worth calling Johnson back in Utah this week. He's 27 now, waiting until after the draft to try to get into an NFL camp. He has been on the Broncos and Eagles roster, played in NFL Europe.

Every two weeks or so, he still talks to the Meyer, even though he has been out of school three years and Meyer has taken another job. The family got tickets for Johnson to the national championship game. Shelley Meyer, Urban's wife, is especially close. She visited Johnson in jail at Utah. Johnson wrote letters to one of Meyer's daughters.

"He could have easily cut me off," Johnson said. "I'm thankful that he didn't. What I liked about him is it wasn't all about football."

Meyer had absolutely no need to keep the kid on the roster when he arrived in Salt Lake City in 2003. Former Utes coach Ron McBride wanted to get rid of the troubled back. At that point, Johnson was five years out of high school, had played a total of four college games and was on his third school.

Utah AD Chris Hill intervened at least kept him in the program. By the fall of 2003, Johnson had two DUIs and had been sentenced to 30 days in jail to go with 120 hours of community service.

"I've always been kind of been a person that wanted to go home," Johnson said. "I always tried to make it home."

Trying to make it home meant a hit-and-run on a parked car during the first DUI. On the second, he drove his car up on a curb.

By spring practice 2004, though, Johnson was around the fringes of the team. Meyer's "leadership committee" of team leaders deliberated long and hard on whether to give him one last final, final chance. Johnson wasn't playing, mind you. He was working his back through a set of 15 stipulations to rejoin the team.

Johnson eventually made it back and ran for 782 yards as a seventh-year senior in 2004. It wasn't a double standard favoring a talented athlete. Johnson was nothing to Meyer when he arrived. A drunk failure rehabbed, did the work and got back in the lineup. When the coach is counting on you for nothing, anything is a bonus.

"I don't know where I'd be or what I'd do," said Johnson of the chance he got under Meyer. He now has a degree, a girlfriend and is working on a career.

Did Urban Meyer come to Florida two years ago, kick some butt promising Buford Pusser-like justice? Absolutely.

Is the possibility of a Marty Johnson recovery on his tongue when he addresses the team?

"Every day," Meyer said.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10137876

#57     Apr 20, 2007
  8. Was the shooter evil? Were his victims truly victims? Were they innocent? Or were all - shooters and those who were killed - all doomed in your eyes?

Was this event tragic to you?

#58     Apr 20, 2007
  9. Answered in order asked:

No. No. Yes. No. No.

Jesus

#59     Apr 20, 2007
  10. Brother, you've asked for something that you are convinced is impossible. You judged my answer as "bullshit". You wait for your egg timer to go off and bolt the thread all hard boiled.

Do you really want this done?

All my indicators suggest otherwise. But as a matter of justice, I will continue to bless you, even when you curse me.

The answer is yes. I can do this the way.

Are you willing this be done the way?

Or, did you have some other way you think it should be done?

Jesus

#60     Apr 20, 2007