Should Students Be Taught To Attack Shooters?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

There is no way no how you could ever train a youngster for these types of situations....everything they would be taught would fly out the window as soon as they see someone getting shot...its just no way to train for this type of terror

#21     Apr 18, 2007
  2. jem

jem

I agree with AAA

In gym class in high school all the kids should be taught the options they have. When to consider exercising them and when to respond as a group.

They shuld all be taught basic hand signals or how to set up basic hand signals so they could distract a gunmen and rush him in a coordinated effort.

Local law enforcement should also make these types of classes available for adults.

Go out get your community defense training and then get a free beer at the local tavern.

#22     Apr 18, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

the gunman being a fellow student would also know the hand signals and shoot ur hand off....there is no way to prepare a student to defend himself in a gun fight...that doesnt mean a few students could'nt rush him; but that is soo much easier said then done ( and this is something they dont need to train for )

#23     Apr 18, 2007
  4. Arnie

Arnie

You would think that would be the case, but the data say otherwise.

http://www2.lib.uchicago.edu/~llou/guns.html

#24     Apr 18, 2007
  5. fhl

fhl

I think the psychological community would say otherwise. The phrase is "fight or flight", not just "flight".

#25     Apr 18, 2007
  6. I agree that it would be difficult. Many parents and virtually all of the education establishment would object. I cna hear the ACLU getting hysterical about training our childrento be vigilantes. I repeat, could the results of Columbine and Virginia Tech been any worse?

The military is able to train young people to stand and fight. Certainly you would not expect an entire classroom to respond, but in any large class, you're going to have a few athletes, a few guys of extraordinary character and a couple of mean pricks, all of whom likely would respond to the challenge.

As many have mentioned, of course it is counter to one's basic instincts, as well as decades of conditioning. That is why training is necessary, from a young age. Even without training, I think people would respond if they have been told ahead of time in this type of incident, it is your responsibility as well as your best chance of escape, to attack and immobilize the shooter. Once a couple of these shooters have been stopped and torn limb from limb, those contemplating similar acts will have to reassess their plans.

#26     Apr 18, 2007
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

soldiers are trained to fight with guns and artillery they also know ahead of time that they are going into some type of combat. They might get ambushed , but they know that where they are at is a hostile territory..not the same as having no gun and being in class daydreaming about the girl u porked last night....i have been in many fights and i have seen people whip out guns/knives and trust me...you are freaken running for ur life...again im not saying that u still coulndt bum-rush him...but thats not whats going thru ur mind in that milisecond u have to think. remember this isnt HALO on play station...

#27     Apr 18, 2007
  8. Of course, you're right. But my point is, how could it be any worse? What other options are there? Maybe everyone won't have the stones to bum rush the shooter, but they can throw their chair, their books, their cell phone, anything to get in his face and distract him for the guys who do go after him.

There are other options for schools. Classrooms should be locked after class begins. Perhaps access to buildings could be limited to those having classes there through key cards. Same for dorms. We also have to face the fact that schools of all types are appealing targets for terrorists.

#28     Apr 18, 2007
  9. jem

jem

el cubano

please note I said how to set up basic hand signals as one of the choices.

My speculation being they could define basic ones quickly on the spot.

Of course they would have to try and use them when the gunmen was not looking anyway.

#29     Apr 18, 2007
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

this is something we need to look into for sure...We also need to start litsening to teachers who are on the front lines..like the english teacher in this case...

jem i know what u meant...all im saying is that under this type of pressure the mind does not think things thru...

#30     Apr 18, 2007