Should our elected officials serve the will of the people or their own agendas?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Nov 4, 2006.

Should Bush Serve The Will Of The People Or His Own Agenda?

1. He was elected so he can do whatever he wants

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. He should pay attention to the will of the people

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Cheney: 'Full Speed Ahead' on Iraq
    Vice President Tells ABC News Election, Public Sentiment Will Not Influence War Policy
    By ED O'KEEFE

Nov. 3, 2006 — - Four days before the election, as Republican candidates are battling to save their seats in Congress amidst a backlash over the war in Iraq, Vice President Dick Cheney told ABC News the administration is going "full speed ahead" with its policy.

"We've got the basic strategy right," Cheney told George Stephanopoulos in an interview to be broadcast Sunday on "This Week."

Watch the full interview this Sunday morning, including the vice president's candid comments on John Kerry's gaffe this week and Hillary Clinton.

October was one of the deadliest months in Iraq for U.S. troops. Cheney said that while the policy may not be popular, "This is the right thing for us to be doing."

In the most recent ABC News/Washington Post poll, 57 percent of Americans said that the war was not worth fighting. The poll also showed President Bush's job approval rating dropped to 37 percent, the second-lowest mark of his presidency.

Cheney said that even with pollsters predicting Democrats will likely make gains in both houses of Congress on Tuesday, voter sentiment would not influence Bush's Iraq policy.

"It may not be popular with the public -- it doesn't matter in the sense that we have to continue the mission and do what we think is right. And that's exactly what we're doing," Cheney said. "We're not running for office. We're doing what we think is right."

First Reaction to Vanity Fair Report

Cheney also gave his first reaction to the Vanity Fair report that two of the Pentagon's strongest supporters of the war, Richard Perle and Ken Adelman, now say they would not have supported the invasion if they had known how incompetently the administration would handle it.

Cheney said, "I haven't seen the piece I'm not going to comment on it. I think there is no question that it is a tough war but it is also the right thing to do," he said. "And it is very important that we complete the mission."

Cheney asserted that the anti-war message is coming primarily from the Democrats, despite their own policy disagreements.

"They haven't offered up a plan, but they have several different positions -- withdraw, withdraw at some future date, cut off funding," Cheney said. "The fact of the matter is this is the right thing for us to be doing. We need to succeed here, it has a direct bearing on how we do around the world on the global war on terror."

On another subject, the vice president touted the Bush administration's economic policies, arguing that if Democrats take control of Congress, the tax cuts he and the president deem essential will not be extended. Cheney then complained that the White House has not been given enough credit on the economy, which he described as going "gangbusters."

When asked why he thinks the president doesn't get enough credit for the economy and the recent news that the nation has a 4.4 percent unemployment rate Cheney said, "Well, you guys don't help," referring to the media.

"What's news is if there's bad news, and that gets coverage," he said. "But the good news that's out there day after day after day, doesn't get as much attention."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/print?id=2627805

2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

One might argue that people elect those whose judgement they trust, and so that person should be allowed to pursue their agenda? Problems certainly do arise though when a person misrepresents himself or herself.

3. So, once elected, Bush can act like a dictator who ignores the majority of the people, and that is okay with you?

Now that election is nearly over, Bush is a lame duck in the sense that he is will not be re-elected, but given the power grabs that he has put in place, backed by a republiklan house and senate, who will stop him?

I seriously doubt this is what the Framers had in mind for the president and the executive branch....

4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

If he became a dictator that would be a problem, but it wont happen and there is a process to make sure it will not.

5. The law recently passed gives Bush dictatorial power. Anyone that opposes him, including senators and congressmen, can now legally be placed in jail without opportunity to council or to challenge Bush's actions in court, do you even understand that?

All Bush has to say is that they are terrorists, and his power is not absolute...

6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I do not think that history will judge Bush very kindly on how he has waged his war on terror. He had an opportunity to have the entire world behind us and he blew it by getting sidelined in Iraq, and because of that we have now lost large parts of Afghanistan back to the Taliban, AQ and assorted warlords. Iraq, which was never a haven for terrorists has become one, so, I do not think Bush has done his job well. I do think, however, that he is the person we have in office and if he truely abuses his powers there is a process to correct it. I do not think that politicians should lead by sticking their finger to the wind and seeing which way it blows, I do think they should lead by principle ,and though I do not agree with him I do think Bush is doing that. He has a few more years left unless he does something to get himself removed, which I doubt he will.

Brandon

7. He might not become a dictator, but how is pure oligarchy worse?
    Your beleif in a process of checks and balances is off the mark, because it has clearly already occured.

8. Lawful-Evil collectivist or not, I will give you credit for one thing:

If the common man <b>understood</b> and <b>resented</b> gov't abuses of power as much as you do, this nation might still be enjoying the genuine <b>liberty</b> our founding fathers meant for us to have.

9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Please show me one government on our fair earth that is not an oligarchy?

10. Ah, and therin lies the rub.
    Plutocracy, maybe?
    My only suggestion, is you gave up hope of fairness and equity a long time ago, and while these principles may never have existed in practice, it is still the objective of reasonable, and rational people.

#10     Nov 4, 2006