Should IB program a non-Java TWS?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by local_crusher, Nov 1, 2005.

Would YOU want a non-java TWS?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Let me say one thing about this.
    In the past , I have many times written about the nice way IB makes everything available you need to know about API on their web-site. They even have their live demo that you can test whatever you wish to. (They are not that great yet with FIX, but I hope this will still come. A lot is there but not enough documentation/example code.)

This is the only reason I have not gone with X-Trader yet. You have to literally pull the info out of TT, many of their participating brokers don't know a iota about X-API. They never seem to have heard about unix/linux (client-wise) yet. This will change the day TT gets wise and releases a linux API, unfettered by fat unnecessary go-in-betweens. This is, I guess, less or more what many people think around here.

#61     Nov 4, 2005
  2. mhashe

mhashe

nononsense, what do you think of this newfangled AJAX. Apparently GOOG uses it, so there must be something to it.

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...2C5e4DinUA_20061103.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

#62     Nov 4, 2005
  3. #63     Nov 5, 2005
  4. #64     Nov 6, 2005
  5. AJAX is a marketing term coined by yet another consultant attempting to brand himself.

Asynchronous javascript and XML is just another warmed over idea that was proposed by a number of people - not just $soft - round about 1996-1997. At that time the idea was to reduce trips or the bandwidth of trips to the server. It was a good idea then and it is a good idea now (provided it does not disrupt the user expereince which is what people are struggling with now.)

The new part is the use of XML driven service layers on the server and client side XML interpretation. The basic idea has not changed and is nothing new and it is ver easy to overuse the concept. For many existing applications there is no need for this technique: I already see people overusing it and using it as a silly sales technique .....

#65     Nov 7, 2005
  6. Usually one has to go to the Yahoo message boards to see this sort of sweeping generalization. I assume you've talked to a statistically significant number of TWS users to arrive at this "truth"?

#66     Nov 7, 2005
  7. Got mail tonight from Schwab saying that an application substantially like their StreetSmartPro platform (which is a simplified, slightly older version of Cybertrader) will soon be available within a web brower. It sort of looks like the SchwabTraderCT application they had a few years ago, which as I recall used DHTML and maybe Java to get watchlists, Level II displays, real-time charts, etc. to run inside a web browser.

Anyway, this is more evidence of trend to make trading software more portable (judging from its log file, StreetSmartPro is a C++ app), at least as far as getting apps to run on Macs.

#67     Nov 7, 2005