Should IB program a non-Java TWS?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by local_crusher, Nov 1, 2005.

Would YOU want a non-java TWS?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. def

def Sponsor

nonsense, you make a good point but I want to assure others that this is not the case at IB. There has been a lot of press on our firm of late and if you've been reading any of it you would have noted that our chairman started out as a programmer and was the first to bring computers to the trading floor - (i'm talking 1980). Over the years languages have evolved and our firm has adjusted. Any of you remember Cobal and Forth? At this point in time, the java front end makes most sense. who knows about tomorrow.

#51     Nov 3, 2005
  2. cmaxb

cmaxb

Funny, as I argue against this thread. I realize TWS will not start. In fact, nothing Java-related will start. First time this has happened in months. I upgrade 1.5.0 to 1.5.0_05 and all is well. Can't explain that one.

#52     Nov 3, 2005
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

You can port it so that it doesn't rely on Windows. You just need to mimic the socket send/replies in your code with your own socket code. You can port it to whatever language you want as long as you get the socket calls right. I've ported it to C++ with WinSock (instead of the Afx stuff in the test application), Perl, and Ruby.

#53     Nov 3, 2005
  4. I wonder about how this poll would turn out if it were run in say about 2 years from now?
    :)

#54     Nov 4, 2005
  5. The poll does display a fully univocal result, but I think it's pretty easy to see the majority of users and volume would feel better with a non-java, native solution.

I'd say, IB executives should at least discuss it.

With the new unbundled comm. structure IB is now more&more a target for real high volume traders who got used to X-Trader, you just can't compare the two interfaces when it comes to "the feel of speed"

Thanks for these many votes until now!

#55     Nov 4, 2005
  6. You seem to be a pro of statistical significance. Congrats...:cool:

#56     Nov 4, 2005
  7. science, you seem to be a pro in humorless sarcasm. congrats as well.

I'm off here until Mon.

#57     Nov 4, 2005

8. Incredible, my horoscope predicted it :

Gemini : you will be very sarcastic in the next few days.

I'll have to believe in horoscopes from now on...

#58     Nov 4, 2005
  9. Well ... the apparent difference you perceive really isn't an issue with native windows versus Java/JVM. With $soft alternatives continueing to grow you will be hard pressed to convince any software development house to invest a lot of money into proprietary only solutions. In fact, the future of these interfaces will actually reduce dependence on the client side code base.

#59     Nov 4, 2005
  10. should oj finally admit to killing his wife???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#60     Nov 4, 2005