Should I take this job?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Johnny Walker, May 5, 2006.

1. Here is my situation: I graduated from UC Davis in late 2004 with a BS and since then I have been working for the family small business part time and speculating in commodities. I trade commodities using fundamentals and hold my positions for weeks to months at a time, so I'm not to worried about a full time job hurting my trading. I'm not even making close to enough money to trade full time so this is not effecting my decision.

The job I was offered is at a regional bank as a credit analyst in their commercial banking division. After 3-4 years they told me that I can work my way up to a commercial loan officer and begin making between 100,000 - 150,000k a year.

What do you guys think, is there anyway that this job can lead to a career in the investing/trading world (Hedge Fund, Mutual Fund, Investment Banking)? Has anyone in here worked as a credit analyst before or at a bank? I'm not to excited about working in a bank for the next few years because I'm going to hate sitting in an office all day pushing paper around, but the money is hard to pass up. My resume is not that impressive as you can see, so this job might help improve it in case I want to do something else.

2. rwk

rwk

The only thing that can lead to a career in trading is the money you put away while working at a day job.

3. How about investing then, not necessarily looking to become an actual trader?