Should I route trades through SMART on IB for fastest execution?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by catmango, Apr 14, 2003.

1. My TWS is set up to default to limit orders. So even when I'm taking the bid price on a sell (or ask price on a buy), my order goes through as a limit order. Unless you're talking big size, my experience is that the order will be instantaneous if the order is taken by TMBR or an ECN. NYSE orders can take a bit longer, but as I indicated previously, most SMART orders are executed rapidly.

So I prefer SMART routing unless I have a specific reason for driving the order directly to NYSE. Again, I'm talking small size, round lots like 100 to 1000 shares.

#11     Apr 15, 2003
  2. gms

gms

If it's a limit order going long, you're getting filled at market. Perhaps that's why you've experienced speedy fills with limit orders?

#12     Apr 15, 2003
  3. Yes, in my experience, 95% of the time 'hitting the bid" with a limit order at the NYSE will be faster than a market sell. Note, this is true of the NYSE, not necessarily with the ECN's.

I've done a lot of listed trading (1000's of orders). I've always used limit orders to get in and out, unless there was drastic price action against me and I needed to get out at any price. Then I would use a market order, and it almost always took longer, much longer, an eternity in fact, if I really wanted out. But I got out.

#13     Apr 16, 2003