Should I return the Win 7 OEM I bought online?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by J.P., Aug 18, 2012.

1. I'm sorry you paid so much for it. I have piles of those OEM CD's and DVD's and I give them away for free all the time.

To be morally and ethically correct just make sure you pay for a legit licence from Microsoft (or a legit re-seller). If you have a valid license that you obtained properly then you aren't doing anything wrong and there won't even be an appearance of anything bad.

#11     Aug 23, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

http://www.alltechdeals.com/

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $79.99 (w/ $20 off code "EMCNBHJ52") + Free Shipping at Newegg.com, exp. 8/22

#12     Aug 23, 2012
  3. J.P.

J.P.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. But just to clarify, it was my error to omit the word 'Pro' from this item's initial description.

So what I have for sale for $50, because I cannot keep it and they won't take it back, is new unopened 64-bit Windows 7 Professional OEM with activation keys noted as being inside. I have to buy an identical but unbranded replacement so if you happen to also know of a deal on Pro, let us know.

#13     Aug 23, 2012
  4. Here are some other ideas:

Ask the retailer what the cost would be to return-exchange-upgrade it to a retail version. That should solve the problem.

Look closely at the original listing to see if you can find an error or failure to disclose in the description. Then tell him that you will charge it back to your credit card or paypal etc. unless he takes it back.

Or call Microsoft and ask them if it is ok to use it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/reporting/faq.aspx

If they say yes, you are ok. If they say no, you have ammunition.

#14     Aug 24, 2012
  5. #15     Aug 24, 2012
  6. I found the intended use on the Newegg site:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=windows 7 oem&Submit=ENE

"Disclaimer: Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. ...."

#16     Aug 24, 2012
  7. TAfool

TAfool

You're fine with the software. What you bought was the COA and as long as it was sealed you are good to go.

The difference between the OEM and retail is that Microsoft provides technical support on retail versions but the OEM (Dell, in your case) would provide support. Since you didn't buy a Dell computer Dell won't give support, obviously, so the bottom line is you provide your own support on this machine.

As long as the COA is not stolen or previously registered it's a valid install.

#17     Sep 7, 2012
  8. provided you are selling the computer to someone other than yourself, according to the plain wording of the OEM licence agreement I quoted on both the Microsoft and Newegg web site.

Even worse, many or all of the copies of Windows with a Dell brand are being resold after already being used once on a Dell computer.

#18     Sep 7, 2012
  9. I will pay u $ 5 for it.

QUOTE]Quote from J.P.:

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. But just to clarify, it was my error to omit the word 'Pro' from this item's initial description.

So what I have for sale for $50, because I cannot keep it and they won't take it back, is new unopened 64-bit Windows 7 Professional OEM with activation keys noted as being inside. I have to buy an identical but unbranded replacement so if you happen to also know of a deal on Pro, let us know.
    [/QUOTE]

#19     Sep 7, 2012
  10. You ought to tell us who the retailer is so others can avoid the same issue. I am in the process of building a new trading laptop, so this would be a concern for me.

I do plan on purchasing most of what I need from Newegg. I assume you did not purchase from them.

#20     Sep 7, 2012