Should I return the Win 7 OEM I bought online?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by J.P., Aug 18, 2012.

1. J.P.

J.P.

Just bought 64-bit Windows 7 OEM online. The disk doesn't look the way I thought it would. This wasn't mentioned anywhere when I bought it but I can see printed on the disk through the clear window on the sealed envelope that it is Dell-branded. It also states: "For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC."

I'm new at this and I am trying to put together my first build. Is it normal for Windows OEM software to come with Dell's or some other company's branding? Is this legal? Should I return this? If I use this in my new build will it work? If it does work, what, if any, differences will there be; for example, I assume I'll get a Dell splash screen, but what else? And would there be any way of permanently removing all branding?

I'd like to get these questions answered before I break the sealed envelope it came in.

Thank you,
    JP

2. 1245

What did you pay for it and where did you purchase it? You can get it here for $139.99 from a good online retailer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

3. I believe it will only work with a Dell. This is site is really good to ask tech questions http://www.techguy.org/

Interestingly enough if you buy a computer with Windows 7 on and all the associated bloatware and you want a clean install without bloatware by going to this website clink on link download an Win 7 ISO and then just input the serial number for Windows 7 that already came with you puter and no more bloatware. http://arstechnica.com/features/201...-a-guide-to-reinstalling-windows-on-a-new-pc/

4. It will work with any computer according to many articles but I myself would return it if you can because Microsoft obviously views it as improper according to the plain wording on the packaging and you did not intend that when you made the purchase.

In the future, do not buy Microsoft products listed as OEM, Student, NFR, etc. Ask if it is the Retail version before buying.

5. J.P.

J.P.

Thanks guys, for the replies. It's probably best if I just try to return it; so that's what I'll do.

6. nkhoi

nkhoi

if you are a student

Buy Windows 7 for $64.95
    Eligible college students can get Windows 7 at the Microsoft Store.

7. Bob111

Bob111

what you bought is supplemental CD\DVD that comes with any retail Pc\laptop preloaded with operating system such as win 7 in your case.
    this CD\DVD is typically used to recover\replace operating system on this particular PC\laptop , in case when you seriously screw something up or replacing HD or whatever. i have plenty of those and never sold them. i guess that the person who sold you that just made copy of it and keep it to himself and sold original to you. i would call this a scam,but i guess you didn't read the disclosure(which probably stated what exactly are you buying)

retail,student,builder-there is a plenty of "right" versions of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&isNodeId=1&Description=windows+7+64&x=0&y=0

8. Bob111

Bob111

last time i tried that with XP OS that comes with one of my Pc's(about 7-10 years ago)-it didn't worked(Original Pc was Dell btw and i tried to put it in home made Pc). i doubt that they now making it easier than before. it may work on some PC's ,according to stuff i've read,but it will definitely not going to work, if you try to install multiple copies on multiple PC's sitting on same network(ie- 2-3 home Pc's, connected to same network)
    bottom line: maybe OP can make it work,but i agree-it's likely illegal

9. Here's the deal with OEM media vs. non-OEM or generic media.

The two biggest differences are #1 the specific drivers for the intended machine are included on the OEM whereas the non-OEM it's just generic stuff and #2 there is an encrypted COA key (Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity) in the BIOS of the machine the OEM media was intended for whereas the non-OEM requires a COA key each time you install.

So, regarding #1, that's a non-issue after XP (Vista and forward) because during the operating system install it goes out to the internet and looks for the newest and proper drivers anyway.

Regarding #2 if you put OEM media into a different machine (for example I used a Dell DVD to put Windows 7 Professional SP1 onto my netbook) it just asks you for a COA key just like any other normal DVD or media. It's probably technically against the license agreement in the fine print somewhere but I highly doubt Microsoft or the OEM manufacturer really cares what media you use as long as you purchased a legit activation key & license.

When you use Dell media it defaults your internet explorer home page to www.dell.com vs. the standard MSFT one. Also it puts a few Dell logos here & there on the start menu and system properties, etc. and it also gives you a custom set of "Dell" desktop backgrounds.

The single biggest difference is that if you use the OEM media on the machine it's intended for it automatically activates and you don't need to enter a license COA key during the install. The secret is that the key hidden in the BIOS of the machine is NOT the same key as the COA sticker on the side of the machine... so you are secretly getting a 2 for 1 when your OEM machine has a COA sticker on the side.

If you do a little hunting on the internet you'll see that shops like Best Buy and other resellers actually have to hide the COA stickers on their display machines because people go into the stores and copy down those numbers because it's good for 3-4 free key activations.

10. J.P.

J.P.

Winston thanks, that's the most detailed and best explanation I've seen.

My problem now is that I am in a position where I must avoid even the appearance of any impropriety so I cannot keep this disk. The retailer refuses to take it back. So I'm offering it for sale at a loss just to end all this for a flat $50 with free shipping. If anyone wants it, let me know. Again it is factory-sealed, unopened and in perfect condition with a sticker on the outside that says the activation key is inside.

#10     Aug 23, 2012