Should I replace or renovate my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lindq, Feb 6, 2012.

1. lindq

lindq

Looking for advice here, as I know next to zero about hardware.

I have a 6-year old trading computer, and was about to replace it when I began wondering it would be possible to renovate. Meaning, replacing motherboard, fans, etc.

I replaced my hard drive recently, and run 3 monitors off the system, so it seems it might be less of a hassle to renovate and upgrade, if that is possible. With a completely new system, of course, I'd need to reconfigure and reload everything. Not fun.

The components of my present computer are in a large case, easily accessible. This isn't something I'd do myself, but turn over to a shop.

Opinions appreciated.

2. GTS

GTS

Six years old? Replace it

You can keep the case and the new hard drive if you want but if you're not going to rebuild it yourself I would just start clean with a whole new computer. Use the recently purchased hard drive as backup or secondary drive.

3. Buy new. No way to cost-efficiently "renovate/upgrade". Yes, you'll have to "refigure, reload everything". No option. "Replace mobo = totally new system"... totally new hardware platform.

No need to "turn it/everything over to a shop". Just buy a modern/current workstation from Dell or HP.. or custom configure one from ibuypower.com.

$1,000-ish is the proper ball park price to pay for a trading computer.. +/- $200 or so for bells-and-whistles.

4. lindq

lindq

Okay, thanks.

If ordering a new system, what specs do I need to concern myself with if I want to use my current video cards. (I am running 3 monitors.) Or, should I just toss everything?

5. Your current video cards will be fine so long as they are supported by the new computer's OS. If you can find video drivers for XP/W7, whichever you plan to use, no problem.

6. d08

d08

It depends what the specs are. 6 years is a long time but it entirely depends on what you use it for. If it's a decent Core 2 Duo then you don't need to hurry with an upgrade. This is especially true if you use Windows XP.

7. What are the specs of the current system??

8. Bob111

Bob111

you need to know on what's slots they are and if you new system will have enough room and slots to install and if it will support your old cards. most likely it's PCI slots
    just an example-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

9. just21

just21

The new intel ivy bridge processors are out on may 8th, windows 8 in october, next years intel processor, haswell uses 1/20 of the power. 4k by 4k pixel monitors will be supported by ivy bridge and windows 8. I have a core duo and am waiting for these improvements.

10. lindq

lindq

Intel 3.0GHz 630 Pentium 4 2MB cache 32-bit CPU

Only 1 GB RAM which I am upgrading to 2.

Running Windows XP.

From what I hear I'm going to need to upgrade Windows in a year or so, which would mean needing a new system anyway. I'm hoping to be able to stick with my current configuration until then, by adding some RAM. Just trying to avoid all the work of configuring a complete new system until I really need it. I'm not running gaming or any hardcore stuff. My trading platform is very efficient and not causing any problems. It's just that I am starting to see things bog down a bit when I have a few apps and browser windows open, which I think is probably a RAM issue more than anything right now.

I appreciate the responses.

#10     Feb 6, 2012