Should I quit?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by shootingiron, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Well, since this is "just another one of those threads", why not change things up a bit and post your system?

Maybe it is not the problems you listed, but a serious flaw in your rules to begin with.

This thread can go on and on with quotes from all the trading psychology you can find, but post some trades....unless you are really fearful of honest critiques......:cool:

#21     Jul 21, 2008
  2. tradex21

tradex21

YES, STOP NOW!!! BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF MORE AND THE NEXT COMMUNIQUE' YOU HAVE IS WITH A SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINE AND NOT A BOARD FOR "TRADERS"!!

#22     Jul 21, 2008
  3. eagle

eagle

If you have to ask this question, the answer is automatically yes. At least temporary instead of permanently. I guess you wanted temporary quit and then come back later with an edge, both strategically and mentally.

#23     Jul 21, 2008
  4. easier said than done:cool:

#24     Jul 21, 2008
  5. I heard Lowe's is hiring.

Eatin sawdust and shitting 2X4's

#25     Jul 21, 2008
  6. Update

I traded one more day and made another loss. Felt completely sick in the guts, but maybe that was the absolute bottom I had to reach. I am taking a break for a week and when I return will be on sim for at least a month, with aim to not go back to full position size for 3 months.

Thanks for the mostly helpful replies and PMs. I'm stopping while I still have some capital, even though I have thrown a lot away I know that the 50% remaining is a lot better than losing it all, and when I get my head together I will be back.

#26     Jul 23, 2008
  7. PaulRon

PaulRon

nothing like the feeling of nausea to wake your ass up... you're doing something wrong. stop and reassess

#27     Jul 23, 2008
    #28     Jul 23, 2008
  9. All the best traders I know became who they are by learning thru their losses. a true success comes from failures. everybody goes thru tough times.

you quoted you started full time trading in Jan 2008....well, i think you can blame some on the mkt condition(heck that's what institution funds are blaming). anyway, the best thing for you now is to sit back and learn more, or perhaps paper trade for a month or two. I went thru difficult periods several times, and my closest friends and family were rooting for me to quit. well, here I am now, not making millions, but a comfortable living.

from what u quoted, it sounds much like u need a serious dicipline. DICIPLINE, DICIPLINE, DICIPLINE. stick to your trading strategies. when u are down over 50%, u need to focus on ur risk management.... tighter losses and taking profits on winners. don't try to make everything back on 1 trade. that is stupid.

Give urself 1more shot....and make sure u stick to the rules. if u don't think u can, then u should quit. there's no future in trading w/o dicipline. relax and observe for a while.

#29     Jul 23, 2008
  10. Fair enough and thanks for the offer of critique Trvlwanderer. To be frank I have other outlets for my learning process/strategy stuff, I kind of started this thread to vent and get some advice regarding the psychological side.

#30     Jul 23, 2008