Should I quit my job and trade for a living?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BillySimas, Mar 2, 2010.

1. I did that, quit work and started trading fulltime. Once I was able to make 1/2 my month salary trading part-time, I knew I was close to a career change. Once my contract was up, I became fulltime trader.

It was tough concentrating on my work. I had my laptop beside me checking my trades. It actually affected my work. I noticed there was very little information on this career move. I did find that 100k personal trading account is recommeded.

#101     Sep 1, 2010
  2. Build up at least $50k in discretionary savings first... ideally more like $100k.

Trading for a living is the hardest job on the planet. Better have a huge cushion starting out.

#102     Sep 2, 2010
  3. Does the age of the thread matter? Is that a rule, i'm a newbie on here. Others may find the thread informative...

#103     Sep 2, 2010
  4. jinxu

jinxu

He was responding to a person that has been gone for six months. I think that's funny. Was he actually thinking that person would magically return? Some people don't think before they act.

#104     Sep 2, 2010
  5. Mr_RC

Mr_RC

True, my fault, I started reading in the middle and found that comment somewhat contradicting - being convinced to have the experience but asking for confirmation of doing the step. Animated me to finally reply to some posts.

But lets not waste thread space with non-sense discussions - lets get some info in here:

I seriously take the hat off for every person doing this step, it is extremely difficult. Because you finally have this voice in your mind telling you "you have to make profit". On the downside your mind will tell you "you just wasted another penny that you need so badly this month to pay your bills / food / ...". So seriously, it is a big step - and take any advice you can get to ease this process as smoothly as possible. A one-step decision can break your neck.

Think of it as climbing Mt Everest - first you take a few 2000'ers and 3000'ers before aiming for that one.

Just my 2 cents

#105     Sep 3, 2010
  6. businessstaxes

businessstaxes Guest

unless you have a profitable and trade house capital why quit your dayjob with a reliable pay check..until you can rely on daytrading as your only source of income why quit..

only quit if you are making more money than you current job. there aren't that many daytraders making a living from daytrading .

and playing with houses money.
    there lots of people in the west coast who only trade the morning session and than go to school or their regular job or swing trade. only reason you would trade full time is daytrading which is more work. swing trading is actually more profitable than daytrading. with these mobile trading phones you can make trades during work hours depending on type of job you have.

#106     Sep 3, 2010
  7. I think you shouldn't quit the current job, the trade is very risk so if your trade is not good what can you do when you don't have any ?

#107     Sep 9, 2010