should I go SCSI vs IDE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theShadow, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Will Tradestation perform signifigantly better with a SCSI drive vs. IDE?

- buying a new Pentium

2. complex

complex

signifigantly better? no. it will be only marginally better; performance advantages will become more visible as you scale up more ide devices (multiple ide harddrives, multiple cd-roms/cd-rs), more concurrent applications, and moving of large files.

complex

3. Check out the 10,000 RPM Serial ATA drive by Western Digital with an 8mb buffer.

The whole kit, including cable and card go for $249.00 which is a lot less than the SCSI and the SCSI card.

Performance is pretty damn good, too!

4. maxpi

maxpi

Get a raid capable motherboard and add IDE drives, run them in parallel for lightning fast disk accessing.

Max

5. TGregg

TGregg

As a general rule of thumb, faster drives seem to come out SCSI first, then IDE a few months later. So, IMO it's better to spend the extra ca$h on a better monitor, more RAM, bigger UPC, etc.

6. There was a time when I would not even consider this a fair question. SCSI was the rule for stability, hard use and longlife. Now you can get quality IDE drives that run at high seeds. Today's OS's will even allow you to set these IDE puppies up as hot swap operators.

Costs for both types can be easily managed with wholesale or eBay purchases. Hope this helps! :)

7. The IDE drives I've seen on Ebay are no bargain. Maxtor 30GB drive brings a min of $35-40 plus $7-12 on shipping. That same drive, new in the box, has been on sale for $29.95 after rebates at Staples. Same story with WD drives. Even the smaller 1-20GB drives bid pricing make no sense

8. TGregg

TGregg

Holy crap, everybody on ET agreed that SCSI doesn't have a big advantage over IDE?

Will wonders ever cease? :D

9. nitro

nitro

It won't make one hill of beans of difference unless you are running a server. THEN it makes a HUGE difference.

nitro

10. That is possible for you and your instance. I personally puchased twenty Western Digital IDE hard drives (60 gig, 7200 RPM) under the wholesale category for $550 shipped (special request purchase for a client). To find deals on hard drives (as a single purchase) DOES require real dedicated searching. But bargains can be had. :)

#10     Jun 19, 2003