Should I build my own or buy refurbished

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DT3, Jun 23, 2013.

1. opt789

opt789

You cut out part of my post. I said for an experienced builder. How many Dells have you had and how many have you built yourself? I have done both, there is no comparison. However, I mean there is no comparison literally, and that cut both ways.

The properly researched, and carefully constructed machine by a person who knows what they are doing is far superior to anything Dell builds. The problem is that it will take a lot of time, so for the average person it makes no sense, as I posted before. You have to discount your extensive time commitment because you enjoy it as a hobby.

I have personally selected each component after significant research, optimized every setting in my bios, tweaked the os to perform exactly as I want, and I have tested it far more rigorously than Dell ever would. I use my machines for trading and gaming so that puts me in a whole different category. Very few of the machines used by ET members can play a modern game properly. Every company you listed doesn’t even offer the caliber machine that I use.

#21     Jun 27, 2013
  2. contra

contra

If you dont have any parts yet I would just buy one, especially for your intents and purposes, plus the fact you never built one before.

If you had parts you can use off a slighter older pc and wanted to upgrade then you can build for cheaper.

The only people i know who build their own are hardcore gamers and geeks that enjoy it.

#22     Jun 27, 2013
  3. RL8093

RL8093

A while back I needed to replace my primary box and decided (after research) that I would get a Dell refurb with one of the better 4-core cpu's. I knew from my research that the best bargains did not stay there very long. Within a week of watching the site, a 6-core unit appeared for less than the cost of the cpu alone at Newegg. I snatched it & never looked back.

I can't speak about the HP units but this Dell came with the same warranty as a new unit - 3 years

R

#23     Jun 27, 2013
  4. You're about 25% right. Of course, that means you're 75% wrong... too many points to argue.

"Do I build one myself or buy a refurb (for trading)"? Not a question an "experienced builder" would likely ask. I've built 1. Worked great. But not worth the hassle.

#24     Jun 28, 2013
  5. ofthomas

ofthomas

I could not agree more, when you see a good value, best to grab it and not think twice... that usually just requires knowing what your total or average costs are for once's range so after a brief amount of research one can easily shop and compare and recognize a good deal...

and, I stand corrected on DELL refurb warranty... it is 3 years basic... I went and verified given I hadnt purchase any dells for anyone in a while...

Prec T3600: 3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Included In Price)

HP comes with one year, and you can add 3YR NBD for $159...

#25     Jun 28, 2013
  6. dom993

dom993

Any local PC shop will build a PC to your specs, take a minor fee for building it, which should also get you 1-year warranty through them.

Re. the specs posted on the 1st post, I would strongly suggest a larger SSD (256 Gb min), 2 HDDs of larger capacity that you will use in RAID-1 (mirroring) for you data + SSD images ... also, go for a 39xxK, for optimizations more cores are better than faster cores. Last thing, 16GB RAM is good but might not be enough for optimizations in Ninja using several years of tick-data ... something more to consider

#26     Jun 28, 2013
  7. opt789

opt789

My apologies, I forgot for a moment where I was posting. I rarely post here anymore, and will stop once again. A site full of failed traders who care about saving a completely irrelevant amount of money on a computer with components of low quality.

Please continue telling people to buy second hand low quality machines, that is clearly what people who want to trade for a living but don’t make money need. It would be silly of them to spend money on something they can’t afford. I pay more for a single video card then you spend on your whole system, and it doesn’t matter because I trade for a living so that amount is irrelevant.

The op’s question was answered, I was addressing the ludicrous point that low paid workers in a Dell factory putting together a box of low quality parts and testing it for a very short time doesn’t compare to a well built machine of high quality parts for stability in a critical machine. Try using a high end digital multi meter to test a Dell machine’s vCore, dram, and other voltages. Use it to test the psu as well. It sounds like you don’t know the difference between LLC and PLL but you are telling me I am wrong, this site is too funny. You are arguing about a Casio while I was saying it is possible to build a Breitling.

#27     Jun 28, 2013
  8. You're daft, man.

I've been trading for years. Have had maybe 30-40 computers. Recycled 10-15 of them through ETers.

You think I don't know something about computers? That I don't know what's necessary/desirable for a trading rig? That I just post on ET to blow smoke?

I've used Dell Dimension/Precision for more than 10 years. If they gave me trouble and were crap don't you think I'd have changed to something else by now?

I currently have 5 Dell Precisions, including a notebook. All work smooth as a gravy sandwich and have been as trouble-free as anyone could ask.

I understand where you're coming from on this, but you're still 75% full of crap.

#28     Jun 28, 2013
  9. I would NEVER buy a refurbished. It could be that someone returned it after they could not solve a issue even though that the computer passed all tests.

You are facing enough risks in the markets without having to cope with a flaky computer. (Dad once returned a laptop computer that was flaky even though IBM reckoned there was nothing wrong with it. He actually traced what happened to it - the new owner had exactly the same issues....)

#29     Oct 14, 2013
  10. At Dell, there are about a half-dozen reasons a computer ends up on their Outlet site.... some as simple as someone ordering several computers but changing their mind and not taking delivery on any/all.

In any event, you get the same warranty as new and generally save a few $Hundred... sometimes LOTS more.

I ALWAYS buy refurbished when I can.

#30     Oct 14, 2013