Should I ask for a promotion?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rkingery, Mar 9, 2007.

1. rkingery

rkingery

Hi, I have been working trade support/part time bond trader for a money management firm for almost 2 years. I have done well in every aspect of my responsibilities and been the project manager on several firm wide projects. Recently one of our equity traders left the firm. I feel that I would be a perfect fit and since I have been in the company and know these guys really well, I deserve at least a Jr. trader title. However, I only have level 1 of the CFA but I am starting grad school this summer. I have over heard my boss telling people that they are looking for someone with 'back office experience', but not totally green on trading. They are starting interviews next week, but I feel that I should at least step up and give them my interest. I’m at the point that if they bring someone else from the outside in, I will leave my firm. How should I approach my boss?

Thanks!

2. minmike

minmike

Strap on a pair and do it. You have nothing to lose.

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

why do you feel you are a perfect fit?? then after answering this question you will know what you need to tell your boss..peace

and like we like to say around here...STRAP IT ON home boy..cuz it aint what you say ; its how you say it ...

4. rkingery

rkingery

Nice, thanks guys, thats just what I needed. Let you know how it goes.

5. First, you don't ask for anything. You go in and tell your boss why you're the right person for the job. Be specific!
    Here's the winning attitude when looking for a job/promotion. When I go in, they ain't interviewing me, I'm interviewing them. The question is not whether I meet their criteria, it's whether or not they meet mine.
    Of course you have to be able to back up that cocky ass attitude with some accomplishments. And one final thought. You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

6. This always worked for me. First get an offer for another job. Then ask for the promotion after you've informed the boss that you have a better offer.