Should I add memory or get a new pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Banjo

Banjo

your largest leap forward will be moving on from win98 to win2k or xp via whatever method, upgrading the os or new machine already loaded with win2k or xp.

#21     Oct 21, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

Presuming you are running a "modern" computer running on Win2K or XP with 512 MB Ram or more, just get some compatible cards and install. (You can run on less than 512 Ram, but neither OS stretches it legs until you have at least that amount.)

#22     Oct 21, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Standard workstation is a P4 processor, 500 MB memory and 40 Gbyte Disk - alythough now you can get 80 or better for the same price. Monitors for trading are two 19'' Flat Panel Displays off a dual monitor card.

The best values I have seen for Windows based servers or workstations are reconditioned 1 year old Dells - Origianlly Certified on Windows OS. You can always have a server built but if its not certified For Windows we dont bother since out time is money.

On Windows 2000 or better OS you can always check the performance counters or just the task manager. IF you see consistent 80% or better CPU utilization - or on a server similar stats as well for disk performance - then its time to think about upgrading. A few spikes at nearly 100% utilization now and then is usually not enough to demand an upgrade.

#23     Oct 21, 2003
  4. For your needs, I'm sure that you will be pleasantly surprised with the performance increase by increasing your RAM up to 512mb.

Make sure that you are also on Windows-XP Pro.
    That also helps as well. Upgrade from Win 98 if you have to!

That, and a DSL or Cable Modem broadband connection and you will be fine, even with a 3 year old computer.

I know this for a fact because I use to use a 3-year old Dell P3-750 with 512mb of RAM and Windows XP-Pro via Cable Modem before purchasing a new refurbished Dell 8300.

:)

#24     Oct 21, 2003
  5. Thanks for info guys. I already have upgraded to xp pro and I hgihly rec anyone using mulitmonitors to do that. Now another problem. My workstation has pc700 rambus, but the only replacement I can get is pc800. They say they cannot be "mixed", but does that mean I can pull out the pc700 and totally replace it with pc 800 or is that impossible?

#25     Oct 21, 2003
  6. Thanks for the suggestion. I flatlined at 100% on the surge at the close. Most time seem to be in 40's or so. Have to watch it closely tomorrow.

#26     Oct 21, 2003
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

I read post about how powerful a computer is needed and win 98 has so many problems. I have built a few machines and one of mine is the following and it never gets behind the curve, or locks up like I read about with win 98.

2 1/2 yr old, Win 98 (first addition and not SE), MSI motherboard, 1.2 gig AMD cpu, 512 mb memory, nine monitors, 27 windows of RealTick open (262 symbols of market data, 11 tick by tick charts, level 2, DJ news, time and sales, and etc.), IB running with 3 windows open, any other programs I want open, and surfing the web all at the same time. This machine does it all and never complains. I keep thinking it is time for me to research out the parts to build my next trading platform computer, but this PC is still doing what it need to do. For now, I can not complain.

#27     Oct 21, 2003
  8. Yes, you are correct in your assertion that you are NOT suppose to mix memory modules. You are not suppose to mis-match memory SPEED, nor are you suppose to mis-match memory SIZE.

In any event, going with the PC 800 RAMBUS memory should be fine. I believe that Non-ECC Pc800 RDRAM is indeed BACKWARD COMPATIBLE with the PC700 and PC600 modules in your machine, but you might just wish to purchase 2 sticks of 256mb of the PC 800 RDRAM.

Samsung or Kingston 256mb RAM at 800 MHZ should set you back about $105.00 per memory stick.

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ram80non.html

:D

#28     Oct 21, 2003
  9. waggie,

Thanks, that is a better solution than I had found.

#29     Oct 21, 2003
  10. mktman

mktman

Hmm.

Frequently check the Dell outlet for Dimensions and WS.

When I compare new specked system with a refurb Dell the result is your not saving much $$ with the Dell. In addition you dont have the quality of specked parts and you have to accept whatever else is with the system.

My specked out system has high quality parts, and I dont have any unecessairies common with Dell's.

imo dont see much advantage to a refurb Dell.

mktman

#30     Oct 21, 2003