Should Hillary Quit the Race?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Apr 6, 2008.

1. The Obama-worshipers in the mainstream media, the leftwing "netroots" and the Obama kool aid drinkers are getting increasingly annoyed over hillary's stubborn refusal to get out of the race. Should she bow out gracefully now or wage a fight to the finish?

The quit now people advance two main issues. One, she can't overcome Obama's lead in popular vote or delegates. Two, by prolonging the race, she hurts the inevitable nominee Obama and helps John McCain.

The Clinton camp has some surprisingly strong arguments that the media have basically ignored. Obama's lead in popular votes is actually about 1% of the total, and half of it came from Cook County. No democrat needs to have that explained to them. Clinton has won the important battleground states that a democrat must win to win the general. Obama's victories have come either in red states, safe democrat states or in caucuses, which are not a reliable indicator of how ordinary voters will vote. For example, Hillary won the popular vote in Texas, only to see Obama win more delegates through the caucus procedure they have. Should she be punished because her voters have to get up the next day and go to work and can't hang around all night at a caucus?

Apparently, if the democrats used the same procedure as republicans, with more winner take all votes, she would already have locked it up. Her case becomes more compelling when you factor in Florida and Michigan, two crucial states where she is stronger than Obama but which apparently will not count.

Then there is the Wright issue, which is being treated as Officially Over by the media. Certainly republican advocacy groups will not oblige and will pound this in a way that makes the Swift Boat ads look like Obama testimonials. The Rezko issue could blow up at any time, plus who knows what else is rattling around?

I loath the Clintons and everything they stand for, but it seems to me the arguments she should get out now or by the end of June are ridiculous. Blacks may be upset if Obama doesn't get the nomination, but plenty of democrat voters will feel they have been disenfranchised if the process is halted prematurely. For once, I agree with them.

2. Arnie

Arnie

I love a train wreck and this one is setting up as doozy. :D

3. Thanks for the per usual insightful comments.

4. my first reaction is that she needs to drop out now... but i am so entertained by her lies being exposed everyday. it is the funniest thing to come around in awhile. it seems like a new one every 2 or 3 days... and if not, one of her old ones is brought back to life. what scum.. anyone that supports this filth needs to be slapped.

then you got her rapist husband running around the country whining about being a victim.. gotta love the irony. i love it when he gets red in the face.. what a sociopath.

5. Dems who fear letting this play out on its own without pressure on someone to give up are dead wrong.

If either Obama or Hillary, which ever one ends as the Dem nominee can't beat McCain they deserve to lose.

If they are afraid of damaging the party, then the party is not strong enough to withstand the reality of modern politics.

I think it is a load of crap in any case to try and end this process prematurely.

Whoever emerges should have enough of a mess in the economy and Iraq, coupled with all the failures of the republican party and Bush to run away with the election.

Personally, I think it is/was not too bright to nominate either a woman or a black man until this country gets used to at least seeing a woman or black VP, but the Dems are idealists, not realists.

We have a history of racism and sexism in this country, so whoever is the Dem candidate will have an uphill campaign in the general election.

Fortunately for the Dems, the Repubs have decided to put up their worst in John McCain.

When oh when will the Dems take the gloves off and begin to talk about McCain in a practical manner, focusing on his advanced age and health problems?

McCain is a complete embarrassment to himself and the Republican party...

6. So age discrimination is kosher?

7. Gord

Gord

I've said this before, but I think it bares repeating. New damaging revelations about Obama are surfacing on a regular basis. Who knows when the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back (the superdelegates and regular delegates) will appear.

There is another factor as well. Hillary could lose to Obama and still weaken him enough to lose to McCain, thereby leaving open another run in four years. If Obama wins the presidency her window of opportunity slams shut forever.

8. Competency is the issue with age, not age itself.

The hard right has already come down on the issue of McCain's competency, it is high time for the Dems to exploit this weakness.

It will be funny though watching Coulter and other right wing extremists rationalize their support for McCain after attacking him so strongly a few months ago...

#10     Apr 6, 2008