Should fat people be forced to get a lap band procedure?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Actually the procedures are getting safer but it still is quite risky for the patients.

#11     Mar 16, 2010
  2. So you live an out of control life and bristle at the thought of confronting that from some "authority figure."

Sorry about your damaged psyche...

#12     Mar 16, 2010
  3. It is risky if the patient doesn't stay in contact with their physician, follow the instructions, etc.

Those who do follow the doctors orders, who communicate properly have a very high success rate...

Some people have real problems, because they are compulsive eaters with a psychological disorder, and the lap band doesn't address that...

These are special cases and we need to help these people help themselves with their psychological problems as well as their physical problems.

Anyone who has been extremely obese who regains a normal weight after this procedure is nearly always happy they went through the procedure...

#13     Mar 16, 2010
    #14     Mar 16, 2010
  5. aegis

aegis

Of course they're healthier than processed grains, but a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. If you consume too many, you'll get fat. I just find it funny when I see Mr. and Mrs. Tubby at the grocery store scurrying to the whole wheat section of the bread aisle. These people need to eliminate wheat completely rather than cut down or eat larger portions of "healthy bread".

I stick to veggies and a little meat and I haven't eaten wheat/grains in over three years.

#15     Mar 16, 2010
  6. Someone else with nothing worth quoting...

#16     Mar 16, 2010
  7. Yeah, you mean the ones that survive or have no complications from the surgery.

#17     Mar 16, 2010
  8. The survival rate is quite high, and even higher for those who follow the doctor's orders and communicate if they are having any problems...

Is the surgery without risk?

No. There is risk with any surgery, but the risk/reward of extreme obesity vs. a normal weight make sense to most thinking people...

I am making the assumption of course that the doctors are care givers, not just businessmen trying to carve people up for money.

A good caring doctor will take all the reasonable steps to ensure the patient is healthy enough for the surgery, has the proper test before the surgery, etc.

#18     Mar 16, 2010
  9. Nonsense, you are ASSuming everyone who is obese needs the surgery, wants the surgery, will survive the surgery, risk of surgery is acceptable to you.

Evidently you seem to think it's as safe as having your ears pierced by persons with DMII, CAD, COPD, CHF etc etc.

I appreciate your concern but I'll pass on the mandatory lap band procedure.

#19     Mar 16, 2010
  10. You confuse wheat and flour. Whole wheat is healthy except for those with Celiac disorder. Whole grain wheat should not be confused with whole wheat flour. Flour has more surface space, which contributes to insulin imbalance. Therefore, although whole wheat flour is healthier than refined flour, whole grains are healthier still. You're missing out.

#20     Mar 16, 2010