Should Everyone Be Allowed To Vote?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AlpineTrout, Oct 31, 2008.

1. there are greater issues facing humanity than tax liability dude like pink pants

#11     Oct 31, 2008
  2. Like what?

#12     Oct 31, 2008
  3. PINK PANTS!!!

#13     Oct 31, 2008
  4. but that would disqualify Joe the Plumber ? NO WAY /sarcasm

Such country exists, it's pre-revolutionary France, Fukface

#14     Oct 31, 2008
  5. Most, if not everyone, care only about THEIR lot in life, a few (very few) rise above that.

that's ok, after all people are animals too :)

#15     Oct 31, 2008
  6. If you rent a condo from an owner do you get a vote when the association holds elections?

Isn't your quality of life as a renter-number of doormen, hours the pool is open ect-just as predicated upon the board's wishes as a resident who owns his unit?

The budget of a government is nothing more than the revenue association of tax payers. Until recently none of this mattered because the fiscal cost of government was inconsequential. No longer true.

The media as usual speaks little about the broad implications of taxation. High property taxes are a MAJOR reason for the implosion of Florida real estate. New reassessed buyers can't afford the taxes. I posted on another thread a few weeks back, a neighbor of mine pays $50,000 a year in property taxes and STILL has to shell out tens of thousands a year in tuition because his 50k doesn't even buy him a safe, quality public school for his children. Is anyone EVER going to buy his home and take over his tax bill? Not in our lifetime. Yet my neighbor (a dentist) hears insipid leftists telling him he's not paying his fair share.

This is a failed model. Clearly. And it WILL fail. We'll see Treasury rates in the next few years so high it'll shake the advocates of big government to their knees.

#16     Oct 31, 2008
  7. I think the underlying idea of your argument is that people who have more money are somewhat worth more than people without, and discounting the concept of "social elevator", whereas a citizen born poor and on the receiving end might and could get rich, affluent and pay more than his fair share of the societal tax burden over his lifetime.
    Even worse, you seem to see everything through the deforming prism of cash flow. If I were to think this way, my wife is useless, I've been an incredible and heavy drag on my parents, every time someone demonstrates some goodwill towards me,I should immediately translate the perceived happiness into money and pay him/her accordingly.

Your vision of society conflicts with democracy, so instead of accusing Obama of communism, maybe you should be honest with yourself and start advocating feudalism, cause that's what you believe in.

We are all outraged & angry at people who abuse the social safety net and repeatedly fail to fulfill their responsibilities towards society. However, to take this Anger to a level where I throw away the entire concept of democracy for the simple reason that I think of myself as being "better" and more responsible is ludicrous.
    I know many many people who gave up well paying jobs and opportunities to purse more altruistic careers.
    I've seen my own father, an orthopedic surgeon, spend countless hours directing events for "Special Olympics." a NIL financial proposition...and Yet, he's never as happy as when he sees a smile on a retard's face.
    money has its limits. I'm not for Communism, and neither am I for clinically cleaned gated communities

Or we can just follow your model and let IL NY and CA decide for the rest of the nation, since most Red states are living off earmarks directed to them by "small government" conservatives.
    How much is NY /CA/ IL getting back for each $ paid to the feds ?

#17     Oct 31, 2008
  8. walk like a man. talk like a man. you can call me a man.

but don't ask me to do sports! i can't

LOL

#18     Oct 31, 2008
  9. Moronic suggestion. The only one of your conditions I could agree to would be to pass a basicl political test. But real estate ownership? Proof of stock ownership? What about students? What about soliders? Most young adults age 18-22 for example do not own homes so they shouldn't be able to vote?

#19     Oct 31, 2008
  10. Why is it republicans are always trying to keep people from voting? what are you afraid of? what don't you understand about a free country? with republicans, you really gotta watch what they DO not what they SAY. they fall back on buzzwords like FREEDOM but are always trying to ban things, limit freedom, and generally impart THEIR beliefs on others. Is that really the kind of country you want to live in?

#20     Oct 31, 2008