Should corporations pay tax?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Mar 24, 2011.

Should corporations pay tax?

1. Yes. They should pay a flat tax rate. No loopholes.

74 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. No. In order to compete globally, the corporate tax rate should be as close to zero as possible.

51 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I don't know.

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. I don't care.

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. nitro

nitro

#21     Aug 31, 2011
  2. nitro

nitro

"...In fact, 20 of the companies in question spent more money “lobbying lawmakers than they paid in corporate taxes. Eighteen gave more to the political campaigns of their favorite candidates than they paid to the IRS in taxes.”

#22     Aug 31, 2011
  3. why should companies pay tax at all? i think it should be a 0% corporate tax rate. i mean there are several things they can do with that money:

hire someone - who then pays taxes on that salary
    sell the company at a profit - and then pay taxes on that sale
    disburse a dividend - which is then taxed

i don't see any reason why companies should pay any taxes when that money is ultimately taxed again if it is ever withdrawn from the company.

right now the us is not the home of the free and brave, it is the home of the triple and quadruple taxed.

taxed when a company makes money, taxed when it pays it out, and then taxed when whoever got that money wants to spend it on something, and then taxed again if you haven't spent it all by the time you die... it is f'ing ridiculous.

#23     Aug 31, 2011
  4. So you can use the infrastructure but not have to pay a tax? Get real. Whoever argues for 0% is a little lost.

Moreover, they're not gonna hire. Plain and simple. You need demand to hire, not money. Why would they hire employees they don't need? They're going to disburse this money off. In the 1929's the money went into speculation, NOT JOBS. A fraction is going to go to hiring. Those CEOs have a responsibility to the shareholders first. They're going to do whatever they can to increase profits. That's they only thing they are there for. Otherwise they'll bring someone else in.

The fact they pay more to lobby than they do in taxes is disturbing. They're not hurting for money if they're trying to buy politics.

#24     Aug 31, 2011
  5. zdreg

zdreg

#25     Aug 31, 2011
  6. companies should pay tax, but currently aren't. There are even companies with negative tax! (get free money)

#26     Aug 31, 2011
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Something like this solves all these problems: www.fairtax.org

No corporate taxes/no capital gains taxes/no medicare taxes/no social security taxes/rich pay every day/loophole for the poor (which I disagree with)/eliminates underground economy/no estate taxes/no gift taxes/no self-employment taxes/NO IRS.

NO YEARLY FILING FIASCO.

Combine this with a balanced budget amendment and the economy explodes upwardly!!

Whew! I'm almost breathless!

#27     Aug 31, 2011
  8. heypa

heypa

The poor slob ultimate consumer pays ALL the taxes paid in this good ole land of the free and home of the brave. If you could ever figure out the taxes paid on every item and service the ultimate consumer consumes there would and should be a serious tax revolt in this country. The tax on tea that appears to have led to the start of this country was peanuts.
    Corporations collect taxes add them to their costs and pass them on to their customers without compensation for such an expedient
    action for the gumment.
    Can anyone calculate the taxes hidden in a simple item such as a loaf of bread? If you can then add the subsidies and other costs of government interference in the free market.
    Oh In addition add in the costs afforded by those that pay no taxes (income that is) and add the taxes paid by corporations when they purchase goods and services supporting their business.
    Oh. Don't forget to add employee costs being higher because they too have taxes to pay all of those previously enumerated.
    It would take one helluva team to really calculate this for every produced or consumed in this country alone let alone consider the global relationships.
    As a former college of mine was prone to say"It's a real bucket of chicken guts.Once in the bucket it's hard to pull out one".
    Forgive me for an old mans rant. You don't have to think outside the box but you should include all that's inside the box being considered. IMHO

#28     Aug 31, 2011
  9. Corporations don't pay taxes their customers do, so one could argue that they should pay no tax at all. But then the difference would have to be made up by someone (probably individuals) where the corporation is located. That wouldn't be so bad if most of the corporation's customers are local, since the locals would be getting cheaper prices, but what about customers outside the local area or outside the state or country?

#29     Aug 31, 2011
  10. dtan1e

dtan1e

that guy sounds like a really smart guy, i don't quite understand what he's saying since he gives me a migraine trying to think what he's saying, seems there r lots smart people in the US but the gov't always seem to end up having the incompetent or the scums

#30     Aug 31, 2011