Should Confederate War Memorials/Statues Be Abolished?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vanzandt, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

#41     Aug 13, 2017
    Slartibartfast likes this.
  2. "Some weariness has bit at my bones.." I think we may all age somewhat at presidential speed in the coming few years.

#42     Aug 13, 2017
    Tony Stark likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Here, since we must fight over statues.... let all the idiots on both sides chew on this.... give em something to agonize over.

General George Custer was one of the Union's most decorated generals during the Civil War. His troops were instrumental in defeating the Confederacy at Gettysburg..... and he cut off Lee's last avenue of escape at Appomattox Courthouse. A virtual rockstar as it were in the "fight against slavery".

But.... he then went on to fight the Black Hills War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sioux_War_of_1876–77 Talk about an ugly period in our history. The Plains Indians were fighting for their homeland, families, and a way of life they had lived for millennia.... against the hoards of white Europeans headed their way. Come on George... talk about a double standard.

So somebody please launch a movement on Facebook....call CNN, Fox, and MSNBC and get those camera crews over to Monroe MI for next Saturday. It'll be a slow weekend. The following weekend NFLX is launching three new series, Season 9 of Dancing With the Stars premiers at 8PM, and NCAA football kicks off the '17 season (Roll Tide) so our attention will be focused there.... we need to move fast on this.

***On a side note I just noticed.... why does the horse have all four feet on the ground? Interesting. Somebody screwed that up.

"In the United States and the United Kingdom, an urban legend states that if the horse is rearing (both front legs in the air), the rider died in battle; one front leg up means the rider was wounded in battle or died of battle wounds; and if all four hooves are on the ground, the rider died outside battle".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_statue

custer-close.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    #43     Aug 13, 2017
  4. fhl

fhl

The others wanted to raise the cost of labor in the south. I produced the quotes with citations. What do you have besides spin?

#44     Aug 13, 2017
  5. fhl

fhl

The movie was a joke. I started watching it on the internet and turned it off after five minutes it was so blatantly false.

Lincoln stated in his own words, in writing, that he did not fight the civil war to free the slaves.
    The movie attempts to give the opposite impression from the very start.
    It was nothing but one giant glob of propoganda.

People who liked the movie just like being lied to.

#45     Aug 13, 2017
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Zandy, this wasn't about a monument. It was an excuse to promote racism. Nazis have nothing to do with general lee. Anyone who says this is about the history of that man is justifying their sympathies or is a fool who will happily buy that Custer statue from you.

#46     Aug 13, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  7. fhl

fhl

"Steven Spielberg's new movie, Lincoln, is said to be based on several chapters of the book Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns-Goodwin, who was a consultant to Spielberg."
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/11...-myth-of-lincoln-and-the-thirteenthamendment/

When you get a movie from Doris Kearns Goodwin's work, what do you expect?

"Armies of scholars, meticulously investigating every aspect of [Lincoln's] life, have failed to find a single act of racial bigotry on his part."~ Doris Kearns-Goodwin, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, p. 207.

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people . . . . I as much as any man am in favor of the superior position assigned to the white race."~ Abraham Lincoln, First Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Ottawa, Illinois, Sept. 18, 1858, in The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln vol.3, pp. 145-146.

#47     Aug 13, 2017
  8. fhl

fhl

Promoting anything at all except violence is constitutionally protected. If you don't like it. Tough.

Promoting violence, which antifa does, is against the law.

If we're going to turn the law on it's head and allow speech that you don't like to be squelched, then a whole lot more people are going to get killed. Courtesy of you people.

#48     Aug 13, 2017
    AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  9. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

I haven't seen it in awhile but IIRC the movie started towards the end of the civil war after Lincoln decided to end slavery permanently.

#49     Aug 13, 2017
  10. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Yes,in the beginning of the war that is true but you seem to be having a a hard time understating that he later changed his position.

#50     Aug 13, 2017