Should cigarettes be banned?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Feb 11, 2008.

Should cigarettes be banned?

1. Totally, we are enlightened and health conscious, ban them

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. It impinges on freedom of choice, despite smokers being addicted and have no choice

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. i believe phillip morris, i like my ciggies, no probs

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Stop taxing addicted users, ban profiteering from this drug, gov or corporate, help people quit via

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. can we be a little realisitc here? Ok I hate 2nd hand smoke and smokey bars...but despite a lot of these medical warnings...is 2nd hand smoke an epidemic of disease here in the USA or is it more of a nuisance? do you know of one single person you ever met in you life who never smoked and got lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke ? Im usre there are a couple exmples but lets be a little realisitc.

#41     Feb 12, 2008
  2. In my own limited view, anyone who wishes to benefit from Medicare and such should at least provide evidence that they give a shit. Here, smokers and obese Oreo gobblers would be faced with an uphill battle. And if they wish to plead mental incompetence, then they should do so early and be prepared to give up certain "freedoms" if they wish to be eligible for Medicare.

P.S. I'm making this up as I'm going along, but I like the sound of it.

#42     Feb 12, 2008
  3. only have to go as far as the American Lung Association for this answer..

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

#
    Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 430 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.9

ps a tip for you: try spending a few secs research before you open your mouth :p

#43     Feb 12, 2008
  4. Here in Canada, they showed TV ads of people who never smoked but worked in a smoke filled environment and were now suffering from lung cancer. Do I know anyone personally who got lung cancer from second hand smoke? No. But I personally knew a number of people, relatives included, whose lives were cut short because of their smoking. Smoking does not only cause lung cancer. It can also cause stomach cancer among other ailments, and generally leads to premature aging. And, as I had noted earlier, I was raised on second hand smoke and have lower lobe lung damage consistent with a fair amount of exposure to second hand smoke. I regard my lung damage, however slight it may be, as somewhat more than merely a nuisance. And while I am very healthy now at 49, who is to say what will happen in the future as a result of the lung damage I incurred in the past? It's all about probabilities, both genetic and environmental, but I don't want someone ELSE to play Russian roulette with MY lungs. Thanks for asking.

#44     Feb 12, 2008
  5. "can we be a little realisitc here? Ok I hate 2nd hand smoke and smokey bars...but despite a lot of these medical warnings...is 2nd hand smoke an epidemic of disease here in the USA or is it more of a nuisance? do you know of one single person you ever met in you life who never smoked and got lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke ? Im usre there are a couple exmples but lets be a little realisitc."

I've known two people who never smoked and died of lung cancer.

#45     Feb 12, 2008

6. ok, how far do you wish to take this? Anyone that eats cheeseburgers and fries (this is YOU) should be excluded (also YOU). Proven harmful food product, with no or very little redeeming nutritive value, does far more proven harm than good. So, YOU can say goodbye to medicare CHEESEBURGER EATER! LOL :D

#46     Feb 12, 2008
  7. Ok moron...now look at the impact Alcohol has on family and deaths in the USA??? 430 deaths our of how many???? its a very small %...vs Drunk ass father beating their kids to death, Crack moms leaving thier kids at home while they search for more? You really miss the big picture....your worried about 300k 'infections'.???? infections are curable...a drunk father beating his kid to death is not...

#47     Feb 12, 2008
  8. who cares about 300,000 suffering infants PER YEAR, on edge of death, not YOU. it's their fault anyway, they should have picked their parents better LOL :p

#48     Feb 12, 2008
  9. .Never said it was their fault schmuck....where did you read that i assigned fault? you really are a putz....I did point out that a tract infection is curable where as the abuse kids receive from drug and alcoholic parents is often death....you really are clueless as to the big picture??? seriously I'll give you one shot to prove your not totally clueless.....if the US was going to ban one or the other Cigs' or Alcohol.....what would have a better chance at improving life for the vast majority of this country?

Try to remember that most kids of addicitive parents become addicts themselves.....use common sense...sure...they pick up smoking and for 40 or 50 years live with cigarettes as normal functioning parts contrbuting to society...now can you say the same for drunks, cokeheads and smack addcits???

ps...is Child protective Serivices more concerned with parents using drugs and Alcohol or Cigarettes???? why?

#49     Feb 12, 2008
  10. Women of the WW2 generation were the largest population of those living second hand smoke, plenty of those old broads around town. Asthma in children is a growing health problem in spite of fewer smokers. Seems the children of the ww2 generation should of had more lung related problems.

#50     Feb 12, 2008