Should cigarettes be banned?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Feb 11, 2008.

Should cigarettes be banned?

1. Totally, we are enlightened and health conscious, ban them

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. It impinges on freedom of choice, despite smokers being addicted and have no choice

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. i believe phillip morris, i like my ciggies, no probs

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Stop taxing addicted users, ban profiteering from this drug, gov or corporate, help people quit via

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. There is wisdom in those words, and I knew someone would bring it up. As I noted earlier, some foods are less healthful than others, but they are still food. They can still provide some form of sustenance, such as it is. Obesity is largely a matter of excess. But, as I also mentioned earlier, no amount of tobacco consumption is "acceptable" from a health standpoint. Therefore, the distinction is more black and white as it relates to "tabaccy."

I think that parents who allow their young children to grow obese should be charged with negligence. I also think that junk food advertising aimed at children should be illegal. It is almost as repugnant as advertising tobacco to children. Young kids don't know any better and then they get hooked, on one form of crap or another. Children need to be protected by all adults, and not only by their parents. There is capitalism, and then there is frontier capitalism. We need to make a choice.

#11     Feb 11, 2008
  2. a cheeseburger and fries aren't food. they're entertainment, just like tobacco. or coffee

[​IMG]

#12     Feb 11, 2008
  3. I am sure there are studies out there and if I wasn't too lazy to get off my cigarette smoking, burger eating, alcohol drinking ass, then I could probably check, but I wonder whether the early dying smoker is more or less of a financial burden on our economy when other factors are taken into account.
    1. Early death means less SS payments by the Gov, therefor the early diers end up subsidizing the late diers. (smokers subsidizing non smokers)
    2. There is more demand for healthcare, on average, the older one gets. Is the extra healthcare required over that extra 6-7 years of life greater than the healthcare that was required due to the effects of smoking?
    3. I believe that tobacco taxes are higher than taxes for most other purchases. Assuming that the non smoker spends his extra cash saved by not smoking on other items taxed at a lower amount, then the average smoker will contribute more taxes per dollar earned and spent over a lifetime than the average non smoker. Do these extra taxes paid cover whatever extra healthcare costs the smoker incurs?

#13     Feb 11, 2008
  4. You raised a couple of good points, macal. You should read Dr. Andrew Weil's Healthy Aging, regardless of how old or young you are. Really. In that book, he writes that healthy aging is about living as long and as healthy as possible and then, at a ripe old age, to have a very quick descent. The alternative is either a shorter or almost as long life with a long, agonizing descent along the way. A lot of ailments are the result of premature aging attributed to lifestyle choices. It is premature aging that becomes drawn out, painful and expensive.

Read the book. You'll be glad you did.

#14     Feb 11, 2008
  5. I quit smoking 38 years ago when the guy across the hall from me died suddenly of lung cancer. He was 39.

Since then, I have known at least four other friends my age that have died from the same disease.

One of my best friends was in the doctors office when he had a hemorrhage and choked to death on his own blood.

Not a good way to go.

#15     Feb 11, 2008
  6. I detest cig. smokers..the stench is aweful...yet up until recently i was a cigar enthusiast....weird....I literally could not kiss girls who smoked cigs..

#16     Feb 11, 2008
  7. Glad you guys aren't ripping on chew:D I love that stuff!

The truth is this is america and we can do whatever the fuck we want plain and simple. Sometimes having too much freedom can be a bad thing but no turning back now.

If you want to go drink yourself silly, then do it. If you want to smoke your brains out, then do it. If you want to eat as many double cheeseburgers as you can, then do it. Thats why they call this country a free country.

Just my 2 cents

#17     Feb 11, 2008
  8. Quick, someone wave a flag! :p

(Actually, I think you're allowed to eat, drink or smoke yourself to death in most if not all countries, free or otherwise.)

#18     Feb 11, 2008
  9. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

booze and cigars are the only things I have to live for ... you might say they've saved my life ... be very, very wary of attempting to deny me of them.

everyday spent gives me more reason to sock someone ...

#19     Feb 11, 2008
  10. booze and cigars are the only things I have to live for ... you might say they've saved my life

-------------------------

Bravo. clap... clap... clap... You are who you are. Never know what it is in life that defines the other person.

#20     Feb 11, 2008