Should a novice play the ES or NQ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Lois Price, Nov 8, 2002.

1. The demo uses delayed quotes. Makes sense only if your charts are also delayed, perhaps with Sierra Chart that would be possible, don't know for sure. Otherwise, this would not make much sense.

#11     Nov 8, 2002
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes I agree NS and NQ have very different charactaristics. One is not a direct translation to the other. I just did not like the spikes, but I tell you NS has had a few good ones lately!

#12     Nov 8, 2002
  3. Why limit yourself. Trade both. Some days one is better than the other for many different reasons.

#13     Nov 8, 2002
  4. I started out trading futures on the ES. I agree with some of the previous posts that it is not as dangerous in a fast market as the NQ can be. I like that fact that it is slower because I scalp at times and I like to being able to go for the quarter point when I have to. I think that it is less stressful psychologically than having to go for a point on the NQ. Another thing is that the ES follows the DOW much more closely and visa versa. There have been many times where I have made a lot of money on support plays on the DOW because I knew of the possible outcomes on the ES. I personally don't think that the NQ is as reliable when following the DOW.

The last thing I have to say is that you have to watch yourself with paper trading. I don't think that it works. There is a much more profound psychological impact with actual money. When you know the market is going to move one way and you put a whole bunch of your money in a position, your blood pressure rises, sometimes your stomach hurts, sometimes you start to sweat. You have to do things to calm down your nervous system.

I don't think that this reality existst in paper trading. I don't think you need BIG BALLS to paper trade. Just start out trading light volumes. Trade one to five contracts at a time, don't go out and start to trade 20 contracts on your first day. Build up your confidence. Learn how to be disciplined with the contract you are trading. Get a better understanding of how this contract works. And grow a big set o' nards because you'll need them too.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

#14     Nov 9, 2002
  5. Te'

Te' Guest

'Should a novice play the ES or NQ?'

Neither -- Any 'novice' stepping into this arena is more than likely in for a world of hurt...
    Forewarned is forearmed...

Scarecrows and Apples meet Mr. Consrict-us...

#15     Nov 9, 2002
  6. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

True, but how do you graduate from the novice stage if you don't get the trading experience in the particular security? I say take your beating(s) and maybe you can learn something good from it and next time you build from there.

#16     Nov 9, 2002
  7. Te'

Te' Guest

Well, if I were going to learn how to box I sure as f%ck would not start off by throwing down with Sugar Ray Robinson...

#17     Nov 9, 2002
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

This reminds me of the old he said, she said routine. Why don't we go back to the original post. Did she say she was a novice? No. Did she say she was new to the eminis? Yes.

As you were.

--Db

#18     Nov 9, 2002
  9. m_c_a98

m_c_a98

Whatever works for you I guess... To each his own.

I still say you need the scars first to build on but thats just my opinion. I blew out three accounts doing this, but it definitely has paid off in terms of where I feel I'm at today compared to two years ago.

#19     Nov 9, 2002
  10. Te'

Te' Guest

Hey Applehead, she said she was a novice and as far as I can see she said absolutely nothing about having experience in other markets. Again, the ES and NQ is absolutely no place for a novice.
    Why don't you go back and ride OldTrader or tell us how BrandonF is a 'market wizard'

As you were...

#20     Nov 9, 2002