Shoud broker compensate the loss?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by FutureMann, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Their servers were up and down for a little over an hour but were out for about 30 minutes straight.

They have 2 different numbers you can call to close a position, 1 in house and 1 run by a third party that several firms use.

I would sugest getting a list of all these numbers in a spreadsheet to make it easier for you in these situations going forward. I have about 20 various numbers on mine and find it helpful especially when some lines are busy.

#11     Dec 24, 2012
  2. Edit: I just looked at your old posts and they were with IB... If that is who you clear with then I'm not sure what was up with them.

#12     Dec 24, 2012
  3. Please forgive me not to mention my broker's name because in general they offer me good services. It's just this freaky incidence caused me devastating loss and I hope they would take some responsibility and give me proper compensation.

#13     Dec 24, 2012
  4. C'mon. A "devastating loss" means that you were carrying far too much weight. I've seen no service interruptions or bulletins therein (with IB).

#14     Dec 24, 2012
  5. Did you go to any arbitration at some agency like CFTC?

#15     Dec 24, 2012
  6. 312-580-8127

You should have called this number if the others did not work.

Every broker even GS & NewEdge are going to have downtime.

Oh yeah, and if you do sue your broker for this, expect everyone else to give you a big FU when you try to move to another firm.

#16     Dec 24, 2012
  7. zdreg

zdreg

"big FU"
    how do you know?

#17     Dec 24, 2012
  8. hmm... Maybe because every firm / exchange asks you if you have every sued another firm. When they ask you to explain and you say because your previous firms servers were down for 30 minutes and you lost money so you sued them they will tell you to get lost.

#18     Dec 24, 2012
  9. I guess you could have suffered the same devastating loss if all your communications went down, or a rare emergency caused sudden market closure.

I think the best way to protect against such contingencies is to have cheap long out of the money options in place, where feasible.

By the way, if it is IB, be sure to file a formal complaint, if not already done, which for them is a special internal process. That ensures that it is reviewed by management. Until you do that, you are just chatting with support. I am not saying that you will win but it is worth a try.

#19     Dec 24, 2012
  10. a lot of firms run a business model for the cheapest rates so you pay for what you get at times. if they compensate you for a down server they have to charge higher rates. you can't have one without the other this isn't the federal government its a business that has to be profitable or close.

#20     Dec 24, 2012