Shorting will help terrorists--no shorts

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stockoptionist, Sep 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, i sat there and stared at the double top in the Q's but I didn't pull the trigger. Jeez. I'm glad this day is out of the way.

#61     Sep 17, 2001
  2. vinigar

vinigar

Nicodemus,
    Bravo!!!!:) :) :) :) :)

#62     Sep 17, 2001
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Hmmm...

Monday, immoral to short...
    Tuesday, moral to short!
    Wednesday, and thereafter, best determined by the philosophers?

What a difference a day or two makes, eh. I sat out today and feel so gosh-darn ethical for not helping out the terrorists. Trouble was, I couldn't figure whether those boys had gone heavy long or heavy short, so I thought it best not to help them either way...

But now that I'm clean, watch out market (heh heh).

#63     Sep 17, 2001
  4. Bucky,

Those who believe in God aren't necessarily stupid. Einstein and Newton believed in God. You don't mean to say that they are dumb, do you? Many contemporary physicists are already thinking that there might be a God behind the Big Band.

Many people take evolution for granted because that's what the schools teach them. However, there are problems with that scientific theory. And for various reasons, people hate religion because of the bad things Christians or people of other religions did. To be sure, people can use religions for their selfish reasons and therefore give them a bad name. However, that doesn't prove that there is no God. It could only show that people are depraved. Without an adequate investigation, it's not intellectually responsible to rule out that there is a God. We just have to keep an open mind. Ultimately, if, I mean, IF there is a God, each and everyone of us has to come to face with this being, especially when we confront our death. Even Stalin at his deathbed was known to finally admit that there is a God, I was told.

stockoptionist

#64     Sep 17, 2001
  5. Einstein never believed in a "God". He was too smart for that. Newton... I don't know.

#65     Sep 17, 2001
  6. Turok

Turok

>Those who believe in God aren't necessarily
    >stupid. Einstein and Newton believed in God

Frankly, I don't care whether Einstein believed in god or not. There are many smart people who believe in god and they have so far been unable to provide any better evidence of his existence than those less bright. Rational thought and critical thinking knows no IQ limit.

Theist often refer to Einstein's belief in god because of his occasional use of the term. Scientists and others often use the term informally to describe the laws of nature, but if one is really interested in Einstein's views about religion and god you don't have to really work that hard.

Some quotes I found relating to Einstein's views on god & religion:

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." Upon being asked if he believed in God by Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the Institutional Synagogue, New York, April 24, 1921, Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 502.

"an attempt to find an out where there is no door." Einstein's description of religious thought, Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 516.

"Our situation on this earth seems strange. Every one of us appears here involuntary and uninvited for a short stay, without knowing the whys and the wherefore. In our daily lives we only feel that man is here for the sake of others, for those whom we love and for many other beings whose fate is connected with our own." ... "The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all that there is." Einstein's speech 'My Credo' to the German League of Human Rights, Berlin, autumn 1932, Einstein: A Life in Science, Michael White and John Gribbin, Page 262.

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." - Albert Einstein in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas (Einstein's secretary) and Banesh Hoffman, and published by Princeton University Press.

JB

PS: Bucky, not that you care, but your methods make you a poor spokesman for your worthy cause. This site is populated with many bright and helpful people who know more about trading (the site purpose after all) than you and I will likely ever learn. Why not be respectful of these fine people rather than take the tone and post format of a teenager. If you want to

SCREAM

AND

YELL

why not find a site where those methods are considered effective rather than offensive?

#66     Sep 17, 2001
  7. Nice post Turok. Those quotes were like a breath of fresh air. Einstein was truly a genius.

As for my occasional use of the CAPITAL, simply my attempt to add a little flair to the otherwise insipid. My apologies.

I think as I stated my point of view quite clearly. And succinctly. I need not invoke a "creator" for psychological comfort or to give my life purpose. I am satisfied simply TO BE. And to REASON.

#67     Sep 17, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.