shorting vix future

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by positive etc, Nov 9, 2018.

did you trade the vix

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hio_O how many of you shorting the vix and have you trade it successfully ?
    do i need to mind something ? any idea welcome

2. maxinger

maxinger

Financial experts, writers, news reporters like to talk about VIX.
    But I don't like trading VIX.
    There are many other futures with much better day range, and much higher volume.

positive etc likes this.
  3. why you dont like it , any disadvantages ?
    whats wrong with the volume and daily range , i always hear vix has a good volume for trading and the range are perfect to short in market crashes

4. You think the VIX is good to short in market crashes??? Please tell me this is a typo otherwise you are just reinforcing your nickname...

positive etc likes this.
  5. :Dyes
    im picking the top counter the trend shorting the vix , can you explain why its bad to do so?
    how you trade the vix and volatility thing if you would like to do

6. whether i ask to short the vxx , or hedge it with the future vx , or long the vx itself , everyone advice me not to do , i want find a way and its not clear to me what to pick

7. Magic

Magic

Just listen to the advice. Everyone telling you not to trade VIX has got your best interests at heart. It’s abundantky clear from your posts you have a lot more research to do before getting remotely close to operating a successful strategy here.

Or just go your own way and short VIX at that local S&P high. Report back and let us know how it went. Should be a good hands-on learning expirence if you’re not not willing to accept the advice :)

positive etc likes this.
  8. maxinger

maxinger

if day range and volume are relatively high, then it is easier to earn money.
    I trade various futures. So I can afford to pick and choose
    which futures to trade.

For those difficult to trade futures like VIX, bitcoin, heating oil, ....
    I put those futures in my Archive folder.

definitely it is possible to profit from VIX and I am sure there are some traders who enjoy trading it.

positive etc likes this.