Shorting RETAIL?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by TimtheEnchanter, Feb 16, 2017.

1. I was looking for any ETF or directional fund (alas Profund etc) to short this sector MAYBE?
    To my amazement I found nothing. Is it me or anyone know a way? ETF? I do not use options or short stocks outright! I use only funds, ETF's

and Yes I am coat-tailing Buffett or at least looking for a way to nibble for a short trade...

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I don't think Munger/Buffet short.

As avowed "value" guys, they seek under-valued assets, buy, and then hold until it looks like the ride is over -- either because the asset had risen, or because other factors had intervened to change the story.

What does that mean for you (seeking to enter a short when ol'Warren & Charlie are exiting)?? Their exit does not imply that the stock (or the sector) is headed down. Their exit only implies that *they* think the uphill has quit for the foreseeable future. And if you short, that might not be a fun party, should the thing climb for another 6 months (a time period very much in keeping with BerkshireHathaway.

So, all that said, XRT has traded 2.25mm at noon today, with a 17 historic vol.
    You could do worse, for an asset to trade.

3. Because retail as we know it is DEAD (plus we may correct overall and I have a small long position so this is a hedge too). The malls are dead etc. I am a long term player too. This is not a quickie if anything. I was looking to see the cost/chart of some ways of shorting....
    How come that there is nothing (no ETF, no Profund)? Even that makes me want to do it even more.....

4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

1) I'm with you, brother.
    2) XRT *is* an etf, shortable and everything.
    3) Once upon a time (9 years ago, to the day, nearly), Simon Property Group -- 'Merica's LEADER on All Things Mallish...... was $15. Was UP TO $15.
    At that time, The Great Recession was being NAMED.
    DARK TIMES.
    WHO????? In their right minds would touch a MALL REIT?!?!?!?

Tonight, they closed at ~$180.
    That's One Hundred Eighty Dollars, and no sense at all.

Woof!
    I just .... I just don't have the Loud Brass Ones to short that puppy.
    I AGREE with you. But just couldn't.
    Anywho, you could do worse than XRT.

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  5. Thanks for the pointer. I have all my money in a 401K and I cannot "short" only with special short vehicles that can be non-margin traded. i.e. I use directional funds but even my brokerage account will not allow a short as I am not margined.

6. truetype

truetype

You should be able to buy puts. If your broker doesn't allow, change brokers.

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  7. I might play some PUTS! I have a fair amount of money with Vanguard and I would NEVER change because of their fees are hard to beat.
    OR I could open a small margin account and straight short with IB....