Shorting MCD (McDonald)

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by riskfreetrading, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Why fade McDonalds when you can go LONG on 80% of the market between now and end of Summer.

What a dumb dumb. Make your life easier man. And if you do have that bearish itch on MCD, it ain't done heading up. I'd say it has eyes on $69-$70.

You want a short? Short XOM today on close.

#11     Aug 8, 2008
  2. We will see what it will do. First shot was made, and I am in at 66.05. If it goes up to 70 on Monday, I will decide if I should add more.

#12     Aug 8, 2008
  3. How sure are you that it will go to 69-70 before retreating?

If it retreats and I think it would go up, I will take profits and get ready for it to its trip to 70.

#13     Aug 8, 2008
  4. bl33p

bl33p

McCrap is expensive in Europe, if the euro economy tanks it'll hit MCD as well. Asia is different, there McCrap is relatively cheap.

#14     Aug 8, 2008
  5. S2007S

S2007S

Many say its crazy to short MCD however look back 4 years ago when MCD was in the TEENS and many said not to buy it. People thought you would be insane to buy MCD at 14 or even 20 bucks, I think MCD is still a good long term buy however we have seen what happens to good stocks sometimes....

#15     Aug 8, 2008
  6. why go early? You're right that a strong trend ends at the top, but why guess where this trend stopper is? Are you rolling dice to pick ur short entry? I learned a few years ago early in trading to never pick tops or bottom. Go with the confirmation, otherwise just wait it out.

#16     Aug 9, 2008
  7. Short answer: if I nail it at the top (for a stock) or close, my risk is the lowest. No fakes nothing. I would then stay the course, and watch this from a distance.

In addition, I want to trade it in the topping process to build an insurance policy. Once it is done, I will then build a position such that the insurance policy and the cost basis are risk free trades.

Once that is done, you just watch people fight on your behalf.

PS: Throw a rock, and try to calculate the highest point it can go to on paper and compare it to reality. Once you have done that, extend your result to a stock.

#17     Aug 9, 2008
  8. ggoyal

ggoyal

you go right ahead and short it. after all, thats how you make money right, by calling tops and bottoms?

idiot.

#18     Aug 9, 2008
  9. The insult is an excellent bearish signal. One more point about shorting it.

#19     Aug 9, 2008
  10. Breakout failures occur when Price closes below the Low of the Breakout bar. Until then, it is considered to be Breakout only...
    To trade, Breakout failures I use 2B rules.

Applying 2B Top rules to the MCD weekly chart, the breakout is valid untill price closes below 59.31.

2B Top rules are marked on the chart.

Regards,
    Suri

[​IMG]

#20     Aug 9, 2008