Shorting is extremely risky in this market- losses, losses, losses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HedgefundTrader2, Feb 24, 2008.

1. That is true when you chose time frames you limit yourself. In the long run it all works out.

You forget the basic premise that the stock market was built upon. That purchasing equities and buying things. If there was no buying there will not be a market. Shorting is just an off shoot available to every Tom, dick and Harry since they abolished the uptick rule.

Shorting is lot less rewarding. How much can you short or sell? The stock does not goes to zero? So how are you going to make any profits? It has to rally and go up and thats what you are hoping all the time. Once we have few up days, you will forget shorting, and the amount of money made is lot more than those hard earned tics and scalps to the downside.

#51     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Sure, I add $100 here, $50 there, $400 here. My grinding puts me in the top 5% of all earners in the US. Sure I'm not making millions a year but I also sleep great at night and live a lifestyle that suits me.

#52     Feb 25, 2008
  3. Fangdog

Fangdog

Obviously, I disagree with you. For one thing, the business of Wall Street is selling a product to the public. Wall Street does not buy, they sell. Which is why every add they run is about buying and not selling. Have you ever heard an add from Wall Street saying you should sell XYZ?

It is like when I raise a product such as apples. I sell apples (a product) to the public. I don't buy apples. Am I going to tell the public not to buy apples?

The Pro's sell and the public buys, whose side would you rather be with? I am not saying there isn't a time to buy, but I am saying there is a time to sell and the profits can be greater quicker, because the Pro's know more than the public and it is the public who generally get slaughtered, not professional traders....anyway good luck to ya, and as long as it works for you have at it, but don't think you know what is best for those who do know.

#53     Feb 25, 2008
  4. just put this guy on ignore guys.
    He's about as dumb as they come.

#54     Feb 25, 2008
  5. Day....so I'm sure that your argument is also that no one should sell their stock either.

lol your posts are hilarious.

#55     Feb 25, 2008
  6. okay, folks, my prediction is right on the money:). the market rallied after ABK news released, as i said so, i am very happy with today trading. hope you are too.

#56     Feb 25, 2008
  7. S2007S

S2007S

SELL THE RALLIES, I did, sold SMH, UWM and SSO and bought some more SMN and DXD.....

#57     Feb 25, 2008

8. Selling is part of buying, that is not what I said. However these selling binges taking down any rally given a 1/2 point gain in stock is another phenomena. Massive shorting without the uptick rule is another reason we have this kind of market volatility where 200 points moves are becoming usual business.

Look at some decent companies like AAPL, GOOG, BIDU ( which had a stellar quarter) they are sold off and cut to half? Now what are you going to short? There is not much left to short. Its all down and out. Hope and pray to God there is a rally around the corner..

#58     Feb 25, 2008
  9. What day fails to understand is that traders are long and short all the time. I'm always long and short, who wouldn't? If this rally is going to get legs, 1375 has to be taken out, it has failed multiple times there. If it does break through, the move should take us to the 1420-26 level, where it will probably fail and back down we go. Not a great idea to try and bottom feed on the momo's of last year. Those things were priced to perfection. Look at GOOG today. Last years winners are this years laggards (at least in tech). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the market has changed colors, adapt or die. Oh yeah, the volume was pretty pathetic today, sellers are tired for the time being, not for good though.

#59     Feb 25, 2008

10. Keep covering your shorts.

Keep behaving like a scared animal..Keep wearing that negative mask, keep that bearish sentiments all alive..sell the rallies my ass. Todays rally was so powerful, you could't make a difference...

#60     Feb 25, 2008