Shorting is extremely risky in this market- losses, losses, losses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HedgefundTrader2, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Futures are up nicely this evening, suggesting if they stay the same a strong open and maybe a 200- point upside Monday.

This institutional money is something else..they just rule.

#41     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Anyone who thinks shorting is a problem in this market is a half-wit.

I've traded asia all day today and had some great shorts. Wonderful.

Trade the f'ing market ... not some stupid bias!

#42     Feb 25, 2008
  3. Fangdog

Fangdog

I don't see where it makes any difference long or short on what I use. I guess I prefer the shorts because they are quick with greater magnitude in less time. Other than that, it doesn't make any difference, just be on the right side when it happens and then go with it. I always have a definite where to get out, the entries are the most difficult. I think the reason the entries are more difficult is of my own making it so.

#43     Feb 25, 2008
  4. capmac

capmac

11:58 ABK AMBAC Fincl: Any AMBAC Financial Group deal would likely be early next week, according to person briefed on the matter - Reuters (10.76 +0.05) -Update-

keeping buying...lol....

:D

#44     Feb 25, 2008
  5. yup///should get some resistance around the 1400 level, but we should move another 20-25 pts higher after that...

#45     Feb 25, 2008
  6. Its 3.38 PM and we are rallying 180 points up with SPX breaking out the upper trendline at 1371 resolving the triangle mystery!

Does anyone has doubts that shorting is not extremely risky in this market ? Read my original post from Sunday.

You losses must have been staggering counting today, YES?

#46     Feb 25, 2008
  7. Actually, not at all. Had a few nice shorts and some nice long plays as well. See I do what is called "trading". You might want to jot that word down. See, there are two sides and when longs are setting up for me, I take longs. Same goes for the short side.

Its really quite simple Day, see I dont give a rats ass which way we go. I cant say the same for you. See you think we care about your little "squeeze" posts but really, we dont. We trade, you cheerlead when things are good and cry rivers when the markets are down.

#47     Feb 25, 2008

8. You are a day scalper, grinding pennies here and there and making a barely plausible livelihood. You go where the fish is angling for few dollars and than its back to Jim Beam and cheap linoleum floor.

#48     Feb 25, 2008
  9. grinding pennies? I must be living in some kinda parrallel universe because the best traders i know are grinding tics on the ER and are averaging 150tics a day easily. Id like to be these guys

#49     Feb 25, 2008
  10. Fangdog

Fangdog

Day, whether someone gets killed with longs or shorts depends on the time-frame they are trading. Most traders, whether it be day-traders or long-term traders pick a time frame they trade in depending what the MKT and their indicators tell them. There is a time to be short and a time to be long and it should make no difference what it is, if you are a trader.

Being biased to only once side sets dangerous limits on yourself. Criticizing those who trade both sides, whether they be day-traders or not day-traders, says more about you than it does about them.

#50     Feb 25, 2008