Shorting is extremely risky in this market- losses, losses, losses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HedgefundTrader2, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Long or short have about the same risks this week - lots of economic indicators coming out - don't get caught off guard , check the calenders if you need the info- could go either way this week - but that is just me. Personally me .. I am staying out for now - way too wild for me

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^DJI&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

#31     Feb 24, 2008
  2. I'd have to somewhat disagree, Kitty. What you are saying does make sense and does factor, but come on.

We are at best stuck in a trading range and ABK solvency isn't going to be a cure-all. Much more hurt (write-downs) and other unknowns left out there.

so what u are saying is all this positioning and movement had many dollars behind it and is based on a relatively small move back up to upper support?

G

#32     Feb 24, 2008
  3. Like I stated earlier, this attempt at preventing a recession is minuscule compared to the magnitude of the financial state of our country. Everyone basically was looking for any good news at the time, especially when we were at a point where a downside breakout was imminent. Subprime mortgage loan defaults are only one consequence of Americans living beyond their means until they are indebted to a state where they can't pay any obligations. Tighter lending standards would definitely help in the future, and maybe these companies that "gambled" on high risk loans should be forced to bear the brunt of their poor decisions. Short term we might see a boost, but with predictably terrible housing data coming out this week the two events might create a standoff between buyers and sellers. Only time will tell.

#33     Feb 24, 2008
  4. Thx Anek, you are so right.

I actually switched to another webpage for a blink and fortunately for me it was such a small position - but now it isn't so small, lol.

I realize I am not suited for daytrade/scalping as my positions/style preference are longer-term based.

I am now refining these scalp plays to just a small few I can be successful at that I may only execute a few times a week.

I like the amp - but not so much to do it all day (i'd grow much to old too quick, lol)

G

#34     Feb 24, 2008
  5. We're going to 1420ish for this bear market rally...if we can break through this sideways pattern..
    bear market rallies are quick and fierce...
    watch bonds tank hard on this rally...

#35     Feb 24, 2008
  6. Wall ST is expecting a rally short term only. The financial & the market over all are in a mess, that's TRUE.

But you know how short sighted Wall ST is, they will trade the market to the upside after ABK news is released on Monday/or Tuesday.

In fact, the Asian market is rallying now because of this ABK news-anticipation reason.

Conclusion: World market...everyone knows the financial mess will take a long, long time to unwind BUT short term, we have an UPSIDE BIAS for now...... SHORT TERM ONLY~

#36     Feb 24, 2008
  7. where you get the number 1420? any technical reason?

#37     Feb 24, 2008

8. ITS too wild out there. Volatility is the beast untamed .

When people aggressively short things like it happened last Thursday 21 and Friday 22 nd Feb 2008, there are institutional traders who see the markets down 2-3% percent and they initiate new buy programs in unison. They are always right. Monday they will sell it themselves if they want to and gain 2-3% profits.

Since the market is unable to penetrate the dowtrendline of the triangle despite 2 days of relentless selling pressures, a rally is now expected this week. If you are short make sure you have tight stops or you will be killed. Its not only risky, but you need to consider going long to take advantage of the big moves coming up.

#38     Feb 24, 2008
  9. Yes...technical reason...1424-1426 is the area i'm watching...
    I'm bearish until we break this chopfest..

#39     Feb 24, 2008
  10. I'm pretty into the Vix so my thoughts are we are going to see 18.50 or so in the vix in the next week...don't think it will take out the pre-Xmas lows, but that should be sufficient to push spoo up 50-60 pts...

I could be way off about this and have no positions yet...

#40     Feb 24, 2008