Shorting IPO's

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TradeZero_Mohamed, Jun 14, 2019.

1. TradeZero_Mohamed

TradeZero_Mohamed Sponsor

I get a lot of questions whether TradeZero can come up with locates for IPOs. I have good news for you. TradeZero Does

Example:
    CHWY. Nice surge to the upside above $40. Shorts started looking for borrows to benefit from the down side, and TradeZero had them.

d08 likes this.
  2. gaussian

gaussian

It seems the only smart play in IPOs is to short all of them. It's a suckers game. The most positive EV play however is to just stay out of IPOs period. Never invest in them. Ever. Regardless of long/short or your sophistication.

The only benefit of an IPO is given to the underwriters. When lock-in ends, C-levels cash out. Generally investors believe "getting in on the ground floor" is the reason you invest in an IPO. However, its a given that people have already gotten in on the ground floor (underwriters, shareholders, etc), and the banks are just looking for someone to hold the bag. There is a reason IPOs tend to come out in raging bull markets. Stupid people with too much money will buy anything with a pulse and a promise. There is a significant amount of truth to the observation that a company IPOing likely isn't doing well on it's balance sheet - but what greater fool stops by the 10-Q to see? Best to wait for secondary issues after the hype has died down and the weak hands in the C-suite and underwriting company have been shaken out.

3. S2007S

S2007S

This is the 4th free trading site I have heard of

Soon Ameritrade and the rest will have to drop their commissions down to zero!!!

4. noddyboy

noddyboy

Worst idea to short ever. You can lose more than your capital if it goes+100% and it does