Shorting Gold

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by mgabriel01, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Hey moderator,
    My post on shorting gold disappeared .......

Was it too dumb an idea to even keep on the board?

thanks

2. tetuan01

tetuan01

Well, the fed is cutting rates in a matter of weeks. Isn't that reason enough not to short gold?

3. I lost a whole lot of money historically because I thought I knew what was gonna happen next

not getting back on that wagon personally

But I understand your point

4. Well you're not going to marry this trade, right?

btw: Your original post is south of here, residing in Metal Futures, of all places.:)

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=114855

5. well thats ok --- I don't think I put it there -- but that seems like a good place.

and Im pretty new to this -- learning the setups from books --- so I understand the reasoning behind the setup --- but watching it and acting on it are 2 different things

I am actively trading gaps and pivots at this point --- so I am seriously considering the setup in the chart --- I have read that it is called a 'squeeze'?

6. buy puts limit the risk!

7. Im looking at the ZG8G futures contract for the leverage and the cost. I don't understand options well enough to trade them

8. learn the options cause it will save you money and lessen the risk a ton in case gold takes off!!!

9. Yeah - you know Ive found that learning all of this takes alot of time --- I read for almost 4 months and watched charts --- and am now confident enough to trade 1 YM contract at a time

Ultimately I would like to do options too --- but man it takes time to piece this stuff together and not blow out the account along the way

thanks for the insight though - I appreciate it

TOS is supposed to be a good place to learn options

10. dsq

dsq

options are a weird concept to grasp at first...what with premium,intrinsic values,time decay,beta,out of the money,in the money...but once it clicks youll learn it fast...

#10     Jan 20, 2008