shorting ETF's- have to mark "short"?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by lescor, Mar 3, 2003.

1. tdoc

tdoc

Thanks Robert,

That was my understanding, but the posts on this thread made me a little worried. I suppose the comments simply have to do with how the firm's accounting handles the trades.

#21     Mar 6, 2003
  2. although it has been awhile since i have traded the qqq's, i marked the order "short" and was able to hit the bid on a downtick no problem!!!! i don't see what the big fuss is all about.

#22     Mar 9, 2003
  3. jem

jem

if it is an extra step it is an extra step too many. Is this a big deal. It depends if it costs the trader money. Is it a deal killer, probably not, but it again it depends on the circumstances, which I do not know nor do a claim to know. I thought it was silly to have to mark them short, and I think it would be silly if this turned into anything more than a discussion.

#23     Mar 9, 2003
  4. jem

jem

by the way I reread this and I did not mean to imply it is an extra step at your firm. I just meant in genral the easier it is to get and order off the better. I have no experience with echo's systems. It may just as easy to mark a trade short. Therefore it would be no big deal.

#24     Mar 9, 2003
  5. there is no extra step......it is just as fast to hit short as it is to hit sell. either way it is one step.....the trader will never know the difference.

#25     Mar 9, 2003