shorting ETF's- have to mark "short"?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by lescor, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Just a note. Why does a security that is short exempt have to be marked sold short? This does not make any sense to me. All ETF's are short exempt to my knowledge.

Gene Weissman
    E-Brokerage, LLC
    gene@ebrk.com

#11     Mar 5, 2003
  2. Lescor,

I'm with Gene on this one! If ETFs have to be marked SS its news to me, and I am sure alot of other traders out there as well.

#12     Mar 5, 2003
  3. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

I've been told by Echo that is does not affect the fill. You get filled on a downtick no problem. THis has been my experience. They asked me to mark them short and I complied. No difference in my fills.

#13     Mar 5, 2003
  4. The ETFs don't have a downtick rule.

#14     Mar 5, 2003
  5. lescor

lescor

How do you usually execute etf short trades? Do you send a limit under the bid? What markets? Ever try to nx the nyse posted bid? I am not with Echo anymore, but I'd be interested to know if you can hit 'sell short' at the nyse bid price and get a true nx fill. Also are you using EchoPro (formerly Sterling) or EchoTrader2 (formerly Instaquote).

As an aside, I got my first ever deleted post on ET in this thread for saying I didn't like the way the Van Buren management was running the show at Echo now. Touchy!

#15     Mar 5, 2003
  6. mgkrebs

mgkrebs

Limit order 2 or 3 cents under bid, ARCA or Island. Have not tried NX so can't answer that one. Using EchoPro.

(Where you trading now? pm if you like.)

#16     Mar 5, 2003
  7. tdoc

tdoc

Seriously, would one of you prop traders mind explaining to me if you have to account for your individual trades for taxes? Do you just receive a single form (1099?) at the end of the year?

Thanks!

#17     Mar 5, 2003
  8. I don't trade ETFs usually and Andover's Hammer marks shorts/sells automatically as it is already built into the software.

I heard one of the head guys in risk control at another firm I know a little bit about was calling new traders telling them when they were trading the QQQ's or SPY that they could just use the sell key there was no need for the short key. The news of this thread is surprising to hear. I'd call the exchange directly and complain.

#18     Mar 5, 2003
  9. Prop traders don't account for individual trades it's one of our edges. The form is a K-1 though not a 1099

#19     Mar 5, 2003
  10. Lescor -
    Is someone at Echo arbing ETFs? If so, this may explain Echo's requirement "for everyone else" to mark ETFs as short sales.

#20     Mar 5, 2003