Shorting During Extended Hours

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mjt, Jan 10, 2001.

1. mjt

mjt

I have always heard that you don't need an uptick to short during extended hours. I have never had a problem shorting with any other platform, but Real Tick will not let me short during extended hours without an uptick. The exception is if I adjust my order 1/16 over the high bid. I can't just take out the high bid if there is a downtick.

Is it up to each broker to determine extended hours shorting rules?

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  2. rt3 doesn't allow it.. the software sux for that reason.. every other broker allows you to just swipe down... no uptick necessary

3. Here's a little trick with Realtick that allows you to short without the uptick (in extended hours or regular trading hours):

Using ISLD or SNET (none of the other routes seem to work with this trick)send in your sell order at least 1/16 or more BELOW the bid you want to get. For instance, if you want to short a stock and there's an ISLD bid at 50 1/8 but is on a downtick, send in an ISLD short for 50 1/16 (or lower). Realtick will then give you a pop up message saying "Cannot short on a downtick--would you like to adjust price up 1/16?" Click yes, and Realtick will fire in your sell order at 50 1/8, and voila, you've nailed that bid.

4. mjt

mjt

Thanks zboy. I'll give that a shot.